Local volunteers recommending an insurance company?

Our local office is telling everyone to go with the G Plan no matter what because the F plan will no longer be available after 2020. I have let them know it will still be available to people already on the plans just not anyone new to Medicare after that date. They don't seem to want to listen and continue to give out false information. Of course there are many agents doing the exact same thing to scare people into switching to them or sending out lead cards suggesting the same thing.

What things are other agents/volunteers telling people that are false?

I somewhat agree with Newby. If someone is already sold on Plan G, go with it. I honestly can't think of many good reasons to recommend BCBS, but it might not hurt to pick them up? If there are a bunch of *** volunteers doing your job for you, then why not take advantage of it? I hope you don't have any objections to writing Plan G.

Something else to point out...If these volunteers are truly recommending a particular company or plan then they are violating their own rule. Read the brochure on page 2 under the title "Counselors". If you don't want to sell BCBS, then If I were you I'd carry this brochure with me and anytime someone brings it up, I'd show them the part (that I highlighted in fluorescent color) where it says they cannot recommend any company. I would ask your prospect how they feel about taking advice from someone who violates their own rules. I would think this would land them in very hot water with CMS if it can be verified. If this is an isolated incident then it's likely going to be a waste of time...but if this is truly every single case you come across then that is systemic and it's a whole different problem. I'd fight that for sure.

I also agree with Somarco. Clearly, they trust this so-called "independent volunteer" more than they trust you. I would probably start there.

I somewhat agree with Newby. If someone is already sold on Plan G, go with it. I honestly can't think of many good reasons to recommend BCBS, but it might not hurt to pick them up? If there are a bunch of *** volunteers doing your job for you, then why not take advantage of it? I hope you don't have any objections to writing Plan G.

Something else to point out...If these volunteers are truly recommending a particular company or plan then they are violating their own rule. Read the brochure on page 2 under the title "Counselors". If you don't want to sell BCBS, then If I were you I'd carry this brochure with me and anytime someone brings it up, I'd show them the part (that I highlighted in fluorescent color) where it says they cannot recommend any company. I would ask your prospect how they feel about taking advice from someone who violates their own rules. I would think this would land them in very hot water with CMS if it can be verified. If this is an isolated incident then it's likely going to be a waste of time...but if this is truly every single case you come across then that is systemic and it's a whole different problem. I'd fight that for sure.

I also agree with Somarco. Clearly, they trust this so-called "independent volunteer" more than they trust you. I would probably start there.

If they aren't recieving "evil" commissions then they will never get in trouble no matter what thry say or what rules they break.

The general rule of thumb for those kind of things is:

Commissions = Evil greedy scumbag who only looks out for himself.

Non-commissioned person= Saint who does the lords work and only gives great advice.

If they aren't recieving "evil" commissions then they will never get in trouble no matter what thry say or what rules they break.

The general rule of thumb for those kind of things is:

Commissions = Evil greedy scumbag who only looks out for himself.

Non-commissioned person= Saint who does the lords work and only gives great advice.

Agreed. On the scale of trustability...insurance agents are one notch below "Convicted Felon" and one notch above "Politician".

It's not impossible to discredit these volunteers. If they really are recommending any company then I'd call them on it.

If I came across a prospect that said that one of these volunteers actually recommended a particular company then I would say something like this:
"Interesting...did you ask them why they recommended that company? Let's call them and ask?" And I would definitely call them right on the spot (speakerphone is one of the best sales weapons I have EVER used). "Hi Mr. Volunteer, I'm sitting here with Mrs. Jones that you spoke with and counseled the other day and she is under the impression that you recommended a company called BCBS...is that correct?" (This is the fun part) If they say "no" then your client will be skeptical. If they say yes, then you can remind them that their brochure says they are completely UNBIASED and cannot recommend a company and that they just violated their own rules. Either way, whatever they say will work in my favor...lol Also, the fact that I'm more than willing to call that organization head-on speaks volumes to my prospect that I'm a confident professional...that I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Here are some questions I might ask those volunteers: "Are you recommending the company called BCBS? Did you happen to bring up that company in your conversation with Mrs Jones the other day? If so, did you speak favorable about that company or discuss them in such a way that Mrs Jones could have gotten the impression that you were recommending or endorsing them?" The whole time, your client will be sitting there listening and will sometimes chime in..."Wait, you told me they were the best...blah blah blah". At this point, the volunteer will likely start back paddling and strongly reiterate that they cannot recommend or endorse any company. I would keep asking questions until the prospect is clearly showing signs that they have been given bad advice or the credibility of the source is questionable. Then I'd end the call and look at the prospect and gage their reaction. If they agree with you then write the app. If they don't, then at least you tried.

You can always use the Doctor/Lawyer/Accountant tactic regarding getting professional advice from professionals...instead of friends, neighbors...or volunteers. Just a thought.

What things are other agents/volunteers telling people that are false?

My question exactly.

----------

In talking about volunteers, you guys are missing some points.

1) Remember there are two different posters here-One complaining about volunteers recommending BCBS and the other complaining about volunteers recommending plan G. Most likely different SHIP offices and different states.

2) You also know how people both forget and misconstrue things. Without us having been there, we do not actually know what the SHIP/SHICK counselors said.

From my experience, I can see how someone might, after a day or two, think in memory that the SHICK counselor recommended BCBS, but such was not the case.

When I made my SHICK appointment, I was wanting to go with an MA plan. In visiting with the receptionist I learned that a person needed to be aware of some potential difficulties with MA plans and that the counselors recommended that one go with a Plan G. I did some reading about those things prior to the appointment, and was slanted towards a plan G when I went in. The counselor and I visited about some of my questions. Towards the end of the interview, she asked me if I had read about Select plans. When I said no, she showed me those in the back of the Kansas shoppers guide. The way I remember it is that She suggested that if I could accept the network concept, the Select plans would save me some money. She also told me that the BCBS Select network in our area included all the hospitals. From her voice inflections and demeanour, I had the impression that she considered the Select plan to be a wise choice. HOWEVER: she did NOT recommend buying a Select plan NOR did she recommend buying a BCBS policy. BUT, as I said, I can see how some folks might have left that interview thinking she did recommend BCBS.

tired of agents and SHIP making up stories to get clients to change plans.

You should get ahead of the curve. Sell them on G, then if they want F or N, write that.

In my area G plan not that much difference in premiums to take the chance of the Part B deductible going way up like there has been talk of. I have written the G if that is what the client is set on though.

Guess my training was different than yours. I was taught to give them what they want. If you want to go back later and sell them what they really need, go for it. Much easier to convert a client than it is a prospect.

Of course that was what I was taught in the early 70's. New agents are probably taught something different.

if the part B deductible goes way up, the Plan F premium will follow suit rapidly

Always has. Always will.

The posts others are making about problems with volunteers continue to ignore both one of your most basic selling principles and what they are really selling against or selling into-not quite sure of the precise right way to say it.

My question exactly.

----------

In talking about volunteers, you guys are missing some points.

1) Remember there are two different posters here-One complaining about volunteers recommending BCBS and the other complaining about volunteers recommending plan G. Most likely different SHIP offices and different states.

2) You also know how people both forget and misconstrue things. Without us having been there, we do not actually know what the SHIP/SHICK counselors said.

From my experience, I can see how someone might, after a day or two, think in memory that the SHICK counselor recommended BCBS, but such was not the case.

When I made my SHICK appointment, I was wanting to go with an MA plan. In visiting with the receptionist I learned that a person needed to be aware of some potential difficulties with MA plans and that the counselors recommended that one go with a Plan G. I did some reading about those things prior to the appointment, and was slanted towards a plan G when I went in. The counselor and I visited about some of my questions. Towards the end of the interview, she asked me if I had read about Select plans. When I said no, she showed me those in the back of the Kansas shoppers guide. The way I remember it is that She suggested that if I could accept the network concept, the Select plans would save me some money. She also told me that the BCBS Select network in our area included all the hospitals. From her voice inflections and demeanour, I had the impression that she considered the Select plan to be a wise choice. HOWEVER: she did NOT recommend buying a Select plan NOR did she recommend buying a BCBS policy. BUT, as I said, I can see how some folks might have left that interview thinking she did recommend BCBS.

Ahhh, got it. I can totally understand your point here.

Our local office is telling everyone to go with the G Plan no matter what because the F plan will no longer be available after 2020. I have let them know it will still be available to people already on the plans just not anyone new to Medicare after that date. They don't seem to want to listen and continue to give out false information. Of course there are many agents doing the exact same thing to scare people into switching to them or sending out lead cards suggesting the same thing.

Can you imagine walking on to a Chevrolet dealers lot with your mind already made up, and have the salesman try to talk you into something else? Won't happen. That salesman will lead you directly to the F & I guy.
Our local SHIP pushes the $hit out of Plan F. I have people come into my office and state, " my friends and neighbors all have Plan F, so...that is what I want".
Do I try and explain that G is a better value? Hell no! I write the F app.

I take a slightly different approach than Dayton. If they want F I make sure they understand how it works and give them some rates. When it appears they are ready to buy I say this.

Do you mind if I show you something almost all of my clients have? This may or may not be for you, but give me two minutes to explain a comparable plan with a lower premium. If you still want the F plan we can start the app.

No selling ever, but I do give them what they want and then circle back if they reject G.

Almost every time they buy G.

Back