Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books     
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

State: Denniston is an Insurance Agent from
Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books Looking for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books
I'm in the middle of negotiating the purchase of a book of MAPD business. The seller and I are having trouble coming together on a valuation. I've heard everything from 1x to 3x. So I'd like to hear from those who actually have experience. I like the business, but I don't want to over pay.

Thanks

Jason
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books
Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Guru
Todd King on Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books Re: Looking for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books
The usual industry standards that I've seen are 2.5X. I've heard 2X and as much as 3X, but never above that. I think the lowest I've ever heard was 1.5X.

Todd R. King
800-590-7207
540-400-6275
888-748-3978 Fax
TRKingIM.com

Do the right thing because it's simply the right thing to do.

Finalexpense101.com
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Guru
axeman462 on Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books

State: axeman462 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
axeman462 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books Re: Looking for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books
The value will be dependent on Star Ratings (For stability reasons), average age of the customer (so you know how soon the will probably die), average of how long they been on the book (for loyalty reasons), and how diverse the book is over X many of companies (also for stability reasons).

It might be best to get the book appraised by a 3rd party. If you cannot, dig through the book the best you can, and find out these data points. Use that as a starting off point to negotiate.

David Walls
---------------
Lets not get tired of doing good, because in time we'll have a harvest if we don't give up. ~ Galatians 6:9
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Super Genius

State: Labesky is an Insurance Agent from
Originally Posted by axeman462 View Post
The value will be dependent on Star Ratings (For stability reasons), average age of the customer (so you know how soon the will probably die), average of how long they been on the book (for loyalty reasons), and how diverse the book is over X many of companies (also for stability reasons).

It might be best to get the book appraised by a 3rd party. If you cannot, dig through the book the best you can, and find out these data points. Use that as a starting off point to negotiate.
Good lord--if you have 1000 clients--how do you get that done?

Would the carriers be able to tell you?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Guru
axeman462 on Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books

State: axeman462 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
axeman462 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by Labesky View Post

Would the carriers be able to tell me what?

This information to look for should be relatively easy to get. The hardest part might be to get the average age of the customer, but even a basic algorithm in excel should be able to find that

David Walls
---------------
Lets not get tired of doing good, because in time we'll have a harvest if we don't give up. ~ Galatians 6:9
Old 09-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
Guru

State: sman is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
sman is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Labesky View Post

This is another reason to have a CRM. With a couple of clicks I can pull up a client list for each carrier product. I can also look at issue date for said product for each client. I can also see how long that client has been with me (assuming product changes over the years).
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Guru
jacobtn on Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books

State: jacobtn is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
jacobtn is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
I bought a book from an agent in 2016 who was retiring and wasn't recertifying. We met through a mutual friend (who was also an agent). He told me he wanted 6 months of renewals for them, which I paid. Was a win/win for both of us since he was going to lose them anyway after Jan 1st. The majority of the clients were on a local zero premium plan so I figured they weren't going to move anytime soon.

[email protected]
865-250-9163

IMO for Life/Final Expense and Med Supp
offering phone training and support
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

State: Denniston is an Insurance Agent from
Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books Re: Looking for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books Denniston is the thread starter for: Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books

Originally Posted by jacobtn View Post
I bought a book from an agent in 2016 who was retiring and wasn't recertifying. We met through a mutual friend (who was also an agent). He told me he wanted 6 months of renewals for them, which I paid. Was a win/win for both of us since he was going to lose them anyway after Jan 1st. The majority of the clients were on a local zero premium plan so I figured they weren't going to move anytime soon.
How cool is that! I would do that deal in a heartbeat.
Reply to Looking  for Agents Who've Personally Bought MAPD Books 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum