Looking for Guidance on Script

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
A couple days into cold calling for med supps and would like some input from those doing telesales. My scipt is:

"Hey ___. This is ___ from ____. I'm giving you a courtesy call because you're a Medicare recipient and wanted to know if you'd be interested in s free quote to see if I can lower your monthly premium."

Thoughts? What would you add? Subtract? Tweak? I'm open to suggestions/help.

Thanks.

You're going to get a lot of defensiveness. "How do you know I'm on Medicare?"

Hi, how are you doing today? I'm glad/sorry to hear that. I'm calling you today because I'm helping seniors save hundereds of dollars on their Medicare insurance. Would you like to take a few minutes to find out how much you can be saving?

Some flavor of that works well. There are a number of folks on here actively working with telemarketers and/or doing their own telemarketing and I'm sure they can shed more insight too.

You need to build curiosity right from the get go. There a reason why the mailers all say something like..."Due to recent changes with Medicare..."

That's a great intro that gets them to perk up! "What? Something's happening to my Medicare? What's going on?"

This formula seems to work well!

Disturbing/Intriquing intro: Recent Medicare Changes/Rising Rates!

The Problem: Many Seniors Overpaying for Same Exact Plan!

The Villian: Greedy Insurance Company Charging Outlandish Rates!

The Hero: Independent Broker swoops in to save the day!

The Close: "Would you like to find out how much you may be overpaying too?"

Last edited:
You can even try saying, "I'm calling people in your area that have recently received an increase in their Medicare Supplement plan and you may qualify to have your premium reduced". Something like that.

Everything above (posts 2-4) is better than what you were originally saying.

Also, get rid of the term "free quote" and never say that again. It's ridiculous.

Everything above (posts 2-4) is better than what you were originally saying. Also, get rid of the term "free quote" and never say that again. It's ridiculous.
I agree. After reading it, it is 100% ridiculous to say that lol

Last edited:
I would never advise the "how are you doing today?" crap. That screams telemarketer.

When I have time and get one of those calls I go into a long detail about how my day is going. They will always try to interrupt then. So I say, "I thought you were interested in how I was doing?".

That gets them to hang up on me.

I worked for this clown once when I first got into selling MA plans. We had to call for appointments from the office. He made us ask the how are you doing today crap or we didn't get leads. I can't stand that stuff!!

It's right up there with emails from marketers that end with "Happy selling!!".:1mad:

I always start with: "Did I catch you at a bad time?" And i make sure my tone sounds sincere.

Most people will think by saying this, you're giving the prospect and "out". But honestly, they always have that ability. In fact that's their predetermined attitude as soon as they figure out you're calling about Medicare.

But if you ask if it's a bad time, you put the pressure on them to be polite or not, if they agree that it's fine, they are giving you permission to speak. It really gets them to listen rather than butting in and cutting you off then hanging up.

I tried it for the first time calling 1.5 hours in a city of 450,000 and got a couple of people interested for me to call them in a month. (I know that usually means forget it) But when I called in a rural city of 50,000 i got 2 appts in 30 min.

However, one no-showed me, and the other guy contacted his current agent and that agent lied his ass off. Either way, the guy was too ill to qualify anyhow.

BTW: That tip is a lesson I learned from a book called: "Question based selling" it's one of the few sales books that actually taught me something that i could use in a script rather than most sales books that are written for the sole purpose to swindle the eager salesperson. If you disagree, please give me some suggestions on sales books, cause i no longer trust amazon reviews

Peace,

I always start with: "Did I catch you at a bad time?" And i make sure my tone sounds sincere.

Most people will think by saying this, you're giving the prospect and "out". But honestly, they always have that ability. In fact that's their predetermined attitude as soon as they figure out you're calling about Medicare.

But if you ask if it's a bad time, you put the pressure on them to be polite or not, if they agree that it's fine, they are giving you permission to speak. It really gets them to listen rather than butting in and cutting you off then hanging up.

I tried it for the first time calling 1.5 hours in a city of 450,000 and got a couple of people interested for me to call them in a month. (I know that usually means forget it) But when I called in a rural city of 50,000 i got 2 appts in 30 min.

However, one no-showed me, and the other guy contacted his current agent and that agent lied his ass off. Either way, the guy was too ill to qualify anyhow.

BTW: That tip is a lesson I learned from a book called: "Question based selling" it's one of the few sales books that actually taught me something that i could use in a script rather than most sales books that are written for the sole purpose to swindle the eager salesperson. If you disagree, please give me some suggestions on sales books, cause i no longer trust amazon reviews

Peace,

Not to be mean but it seemed like your approach did not work. You got 2 appts and they went no where.

Personally I would never ask did I catch them at a bad time. They will respond in kind with a YES you did. Why even ask it? Nothing good can come of it.

I haven't cold called in a while but on my DM leads I just say, Hey Mrs. Johnson, this is Chaz and I just got a card you filled out in regards to your Medicare, you start Medicare this June correct? They say yes or maybe no if they are on disability.
Then I let them know what I do and I can help them to figure all this mess out that when they get close to their bday they will know what to do. Are you available xx time?

If they aren't working with someone else, or on disability or Medicaid, I get the appt nearly every time.

Back