LIS Getting Back Past Premiums Paid?

Found this on Medicare.gov

Can I get money back if I've been paying too much?

If you aren't already enrolled in a Medicare drug plan and paid for prescriptions since you qualified for Extra Help, you may be able to get back part of what you paid. Keep your receipts, and call your plan. Or, you can contact Medicare's Limited Income Newly Eligible Transition (NET) Program at 1-800-783-1307 for more information. TTY users should call 711.

Anyone ever help someone get back money if they found out they qualified for previous years? Was it much?

If you aren't already enrolled in a Medicare drug plan and paid for prescriptions since you qualified for Extra Help, you may be able to get back part of what you paid. Keep your receipts, and call your plan. Or, you can contact Medicare's Limited Income Newly Eligible Transition (NET) Program at 1-800-783-1307 for more information. TTY users should call 711.

Anyone ever help someone get back money if they found out they qualified for previous years? Was it much?
Interesting. I saw a client with stacks piled two feet high of losing lotto tickets over the years. Surely there is someone out there that has saved their rx receipts.

Last edited:

The only cost that can be reimbursed are drug copays that were higher than the LIS copay going back to the first day of the LIS award month.

When helping someone apply for LIS I advise that LIS will be retro active to 1st of month in case they want to submit a claim

Well, as a matter of fact, about 10 months ago I helped a couple sign up for LIS. They got approved, and they got the Part B premium paid for as well. They did get some money back that they had overpaid. I think they told me it was about $500, but Im just going on memory. It's the only time ive ever seen that happen, Ive probably signed up about 10-15 ppl per year for the past 7 years, so I really havent done that many

While not quite the same thing, I helped a guy get his part B premiums returned a few years ago. He was a QMB+ but for some reason they had started taking his part B premiums out of his check on Jan 1 of that year. I met him in April. Helped him contact the local office and get whatever paperwork they needed. They stopped taking the part B out of his check and sent him a 5 month refund. Took about 3 months to get the refund.

Turns out he had sold some scrap metal for about $300 the previous Nov and reported it to the local office. They said they only intended to dun him for one month.

Mistakes are fixable. First you have to know about it and then you have to be patient.

Back