Male Age 69,Dekalb County Ga. Whats his Best Option?

For what it's worth, I have sold Plan N to several people, getting approval from Equitable beforehand. They were all coming off a group plan.

I agree, they should be very careful who they take advice from.

That's was last year, and there has been no backlash.

I didn't use CSG. I used Equitables Rate sheet from 2014

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have sold Plan N to several people, getting approval from Equitable beforehand. They were all coming off a group plan.

Your rates aren't accurate. I confirmed my rates on Equitable's website (they have a rate calculator available in addition to the rate sheet).

As for writing a Plan N on a GI basis, that isn't what the rules state (both Federal law and carrier rules). If you've gotten it through then someone dropped the ball. Here is what their underwriting guide states regarding a GI in this situation:

Events that qualify an applicant for guarantee issue and plan availability:

• The applicant enrolled under an employee welfare benefit plan that provides benefits that supplement Medicare and that plan terminates or ceases to provide all such supplement benefits.
Plans Available: A or F

The applicant must apply within 63 days of the latter of: 1) the date they receive notice that benefits under the employee benefit plan have terminated or ceased (or if notice is not received, the date of the first claim denial due to loss of benefits) or 2) the date the coverage terminates or ceases.

I think that's pretty clear on which plans they allow for GI in the event of lost employer coverage.

I received a notice in the mail today that my Plan F with Equitable will increase on the renewal date in April so the 2014 rates are definitely out of date.

I can't find it now but CSG put out a report a few months ago on the downward trend for Medigap rate adjustments over the last 5 years or so. Hardly anyone has had a double digit increase since Jan 2014

I can't find it now but CSG put out a report a few months ago on the downward trend for Medigap rate adjustments over the last 5 years or so. Hardly anyone has had a double digit increase since Jan 2014

A few months ago Stonebridge had a 15% increase in OR but only about 2% in other states. Based upon their recent email to agents I would expect a double digit increase everywhere in the near future.

Anthem Blue Cross just increased their Plan N by a bit over 10% in CA.

Rick

Found it.

Medicare Supplement Rate Increases Continue to Decline in 2014 — CSG Actuarial

csg-blog.png

Back