Marketing Idea

Put yourself in their place:

• You are turning 65
  • How many mail pieces do you get about Medicare?
  • How many phone calls from people you don't know do you get about Medicare?
  • How many card sized ads to you see, with well groomed individuals, telling you to call them about Medicare?

Chances are, the answer to all the above questions is ALOT.

Our Greatest Generation believes, and takes the advice of, their own friends and family. People they already know, like, and trust. While they might "buy" if they are "sold" something, they won't be tickled pink about it, and they won't refer anyone.

Focus. Education. Differentiation.

Focus your efforts to meet these people in ways your competition is not. Educate them on the plan changes - not to sell them, but rather to impart knowledge, so they are more comfortable, or not, in their decision they made last year. And be there to answer questions over and over again, without getting impatient. Differentiation. What do you bring to their lives that another agent does not. Do you know an Elder Care Attorney that can update their Will? Do you know someone at a Senior Center, where they can go play Mah Jong?

Now to the Marketing Idea.

You can get a table in front of a local grocery store, and give away FREE information about Medicare. Have certain pages from the Medicare and You book (CMS Compliant) and have that for them to take with them. It's a great conversation starter.

Start a blog (yes, some seniors are on the internet), and promote it.

Civic clubs are BEGGING for speakers at their monthly meetings.

Some libraries show movies for seniors during the day. Usually a 2:00 show. Go, and strike up a conversation. Or, ask the library if you can have generic flyers available.

Volunteer at a Senior Center.

ROI sucks. Persistency is GREAT! Referrals are ROCK SOLID!!

Again, I think differently than most.

• You are turning 65
  • How many card sized ads to you see, with well groomed individuals, telling you to call them about Medicare?

Our Greatest Generation believes, and takes the advice of, their own friends and family. People they already know, like, and trust. While they might "buy" if they are "sold" something, they won't be tickled pink about it, and they won't refer anyone.

Focus your efforts to meet these people in ways your competition is not. Educate them on the plan changes - not to sell them, but rather to impart knowledge, so they are more comfortable, or not, in their decision they made last year. And be there to answer questions over and over again, without getting impatient. Differentiation. What do you bring to their lives that another agent does not. Do you know an Elder Care Attorney that can update their Will? Do you know someone at a Senior Center, where they can go play Mah Jong?

You can get a table in front of a local grocery store, and give away FREE information about Medicare. Have certain pages from the Medicare and You book (CMS Compliant) and have that for them to take with them. It's a great conversation starter.

Some libraries show movies for seniors during the day. Usually a 2:00 show. Go, and strike up a conversation. Or, ask the library if you can have generic flyers available.

This is terrific advice Bob.

Let's get a joint table at the Sandy Springs Kroger on Wednesdays. I will bring the lox and bagels and the LTC Shopper's Guides :)

• You are turning 65

It is not that you think differently, it is you are practicing.... what's the word I am thinking of..... oh... MARKETING. or self promotion.

That is how most of the old guys like me got started in this business with great success. We talked to everybody with a pulse then just narrowed the focus or market.

It took 25 years of nonsense in this business to have someone having to restate the obvious. My friend, unfortunately there is no training anymore and it take guys like you and me to enlighten these people.

Keep it up.:noteworthy: :noteworthy:

Some great advice!

If you have a P&C book of business, work it.

I judge the challenge some agents have is they only contact their existing book when they have something to sell. This is a great way to make sure your clients ignore your calls.

Make sure you are in contact with your clients a few times a year, for no other reason than to say hi. Send out cards is a great tool, newsletters, follow up calls after they have a new policy to make sure they received all the info they needed, etc.

But won't I open up a can of worms by calling them? Well, if they are not calling you when they are not happy, isn't that a problem too?

Let's get a joint table at the Sandy Springs Kroger on Wednesdays. I will bring the lox and bagels and the LTC Shopper's Guides

Are you guys trying to horn in on the Girl Scouts selling cookies? If so, you don't stand a chance.

• You are turning 65

Good advice, but I'm not sure I would consider people T65 right now, "The Greatest Generation"...

Sitting in front of a store giving out free info is a horrible idea... will be as effective as cold calling out of the phone book…. or knocking on every door in the neighborhood.

What your skills and funds available are will limit your marketing options. Since I don't know what your abilities are I will give a generic answer.

For starting out cold calling with a telemarketer that YOU hired & trained and a power dialer will ALWAYS get results. (Assuming you know what the heck you're doing and have the skills to hire/train/manage a valued employee.)

Personally I prefer DM but not the generic lead card b.s. that most mail companies send out.

Back