Marketing Medicare Supplements to Age 66 - 68

NWSINS

Expert
MN
I have been marketing to T65 for several years with some success. I have a questions for those of you who are marketing to the Age 66 - 69 crowd.

What percentage of that age group is new to Medicare? As in finally retiring and losing group benefits.

My state has a very high percentage of MA Cost plans which makes it very difficult to sell Medicare Supps. I was trying to figure out if more people are actually working to full retirement age (66) and then retiring.

I have been marketing to T65 for several years with some success. I have a questions for those of you who are marketing to the Age 66 - 69 crowd.

What percentage of that age group is new to Medicare? As in finally retiring and losing group benefits.

My state has a very high percentage of MA Cost plans which makes it very difficult to sell Medicare Supps. I was trying to figure out if more people are actually working to full retirement age (66) and then retiring.

I have no idea what percentage is retiring between those ages but why would you want to limit your self to such a small age group?

As a focus I do not market to T65's, but specifically to those age 67 and up. Each year I run into more & more 67 & 68 year olds who have not taken Part B as they are still working and receiving group bennies. Couldn't say a %, but definitely a growing number.

You guys seem very knowledgeable about medicare. Do you think a newbie should go captive, in this field. If so, do you know of good carriers to be captive with? I'm in Iowa. Thanks.

You guys seem very knowledgeable about medicare. Do you think a newbie should go captive, in this field. If so, do you know of good carriers to be captive with? I'm in Iowa. Thanks.

My opinion is that you should only go captive if you need someone to provide you an office, computer, product to sell, and more importantly leads. You do not need to be captive to learn Medicare or Medicare supplements products.

If you are too lazy to prospect or absolutely don't know how, then you should be captive.

A monkey can write an insurance application; just look around. But a monkey cannot prospect for clients.

My opinion is that you should only go captive if you need someone to provide you an office, computer, product to sell, and more importantly leads. You do not need to be captive to learn Medicare or Medicare supplements products.

If you are too lazy to prospect or absolutely don't know how, then you should be captive.

A monkey can write an insurance application; just look around. But a monkey cannot prospect for clients.

Can a person make a living selling Medicare and Medicare supplements in their first year? Should they add other products, like Life or Dental? Is, buying leads, and cold calling the best way to prospect? Is an FMO a good option? Have you heard of Berwick? They are all over the internet right now. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to be specific. Thanks

Can a person make a living selling Medicare and Medicare supplements in their first year? Should they add other products, like Life or Dental? Is, buying leads, and cold calling the best way to prospect? Is an FMO a good option? Have you heard of Berwick? They are all over the internet right now. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to be specific. Thanks

That's a good question...Lets see what the Pro's come up with.

I will give this question a stab.
"Can a person make a living selling Medicare and Medicare supplements in their first year?"
Depends how you define "make a living", but I believe the answer to be no, for two reason.
First, there is a learning curve how to best prospect. I've been selling MA & MS for a few years now, and feel like I am finally starting to prospect smart and hitting my stride.
Second, the one year commission on MS sucks. BUT, it is all about building the block of business and building up those renewals.

Back