Med Sup Pros---"is this True???"

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm a newby learning Med.Supp products. AND, had a couple of questions (if someone would be so kind).
  1. Can you sell or switch someone who's on a Med Advantage product to a Med Supp plan "before open enrollment?"
  2. If the insured is are already on a Med supp, can you switch them from one insurance carrier to another during the year (outside of OE)???

(i suspect the answer to 1, is NO---you have to wait until open enrollment to change them---but i'm no expert).

Anyway, thanks in advance!

~M

1. NO, unless they have an sep reason.
2. Yes as long as it benefits the client, ie: more benefits, less payments etc.

Can you sell or switch someone who's on a Med Advantage product to a Med Supp plan "before open enrollment?"

No. Unless They Moved outside the service area, Have state Drug assistance, or got MA for 1st time after dropping a Supplement and are still in 1st year of MA or after getting MA at 65 and are still in 1st year

If the insured is are already on a Med supp, can you switch them from one insurance carrier to another during the year (outside of OE)???

Same answer as MedicareAgent But to add IF they can pass the underwriting

Knowing the underwriting and which carriers have underwriting Niches is where you earn your living many times

I'm a newby learning Med.Supp products. AND, had a couple of questions (if someone would be so kind).
  1. Can you sell or switch someone who's on a Med Advantage product to a Med Supp plan "before open enrollment?"
  2. If the insured is are already on a Med supp, can you switch them from one insurance carrier to another during the year (outside of OE)???

(i suspect the answer to 1, is NO---you have to wait until open enrollment to change them---but i'm no expert).

Anyway, thanks in advance!

~M

In addition to the answers the others have provided, one thing to add to your second question. There's only one OE for Med Supps and that is when the beneficiary is new to Medicare. Outside of that six month window, they can change at any time during the year as long as they can pass underwriting. This is in most states. There are a few states with some other rules such as the birthday rule whereby they can change Med Supps in the month if their birthday.

In addition to the answers the others have provided, one thing to add to your second question. There's only one OE for Med Supps and that is when the beneficiary is new to Medicare. Outside of that six month window, they can change at any time during the year as long as they can pass underwriting. This is in most states. There are a few states with some other rules such as the birthday rule whereby they can change Med Supps in the month if their birthday.

They actually can even change during that 6 month period if they desire.. Buy one plan, keep it a couple of months and replace it with another.

Thanks man.

QUESTION: "What is this 6 mth rule you are referring to?"
  • Are you saying that someone is eligible for to sign up for a MS plan 6 mths prior to turning 65?

PS. I know you can sign someone up for MA 3mths prior to and after turning 65, but unclear of what you mean by 6 mth rule for Med Supp?

Thanks again!

.M

Thanks man.

QUESTION: "What is this 6 mth rule you are referring to?"
  • Are you saying that someone is eligible for to sign up for a MS plan 6 mths prior to turning 65?

PS. I know you can sign someone up for MA 3mths prior to and after turning 65, but unclear of what you mean by 6 mth rule for Med Supp?

Thanks again!

.M
6 months after a person turns 65 and is covered by part B.

https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/when-can-you-buy-a-medigap-policy/

Wonder how eHealth gets away with using Medicare as the name for this commercial site?

Back