Med Supp Question

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Most likely I have a misunderstanding about med supps and would appreciate comments from anyone who can set me straight.

I thought that if a doc took medicare they needed to take med supps (let's leave the accepting assignment issue aside for now). And further that they could not pick and choose which supps they took (or should I say pay them). In other words, if the client has a supp and medicare approves charges that they triangulate over to the med supp carrier and just notify them that they need to pay the doc. So it is none of the docs business as long as the client presents a card showing coverage with a valid med supp carrier. As noted, perhaps this is not correct. If so, please just set me straight.

Anyhoo, today I was in the bookstore and picked up a copy of Kiplinger's Retirement Planning magazine and saw that it had an article on enrolling in medicare and choosing supplement etc. They gave an example of some guy who checked out the various supplement carriers and in the end went with a medigap plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield because that is the only one that his primary care physician would accept.

What's up with that? Can a doc pick and choose between supp plans? Or did they just word it fuzzy and should have said because a medigap plan is the only type of plan that the doc would accept, or did they just provide misinformation, or do I need to just smarten up. Either way is okay. Just looking for the right understanding here.

Note that we are not talking about medicare advantage. It said medigap.

What sayeth thee.

Thanks.

When a person is on Medicare, Medicare is primary coverage. The doctor files the claim with Medicare. The doctor never communicates with the insurance company.

Actually, there is no need for the doctor to even know who the carrier is. When Medicare receives and approves the claim Medicare is the one who notifies the insurance company, not the doctor.

You already know this, but what you read is just another example of some "reporter" writing an article who didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

When a person is on Medicare, Medicare is primary coverage. The doctor files the claim with Medicare. The doctor never communicates with the insurance company.

Actually, there is no need for the doctor to even know who the carrier is. When Medicare receives and approves the claim Medicare is the one who notifies the insurance company, not the doctor.

You already know this, but what you read is just another example of some "reporter" writing an article who didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Alright then. Thanks for the confirmation. Crazy stuff floating around out there.

A reporter not knowing what they are talking about? Say it isn't so! I don't know who to turn to now-- can't trust the media or Al...

Last edited:
It will take time, but all hurt heals... Don't know where to turn now since the media is in cahoots with Al...

But you guys got Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck and Sarah Palin. Oh, and you have abortion-bombers you can call up when/if you need them. You also have all the guns in the nation so I'm sure if Rush puts out the call to go shoot up a few town-hall meetings, your side will find plenty guys only too happy to do it. I'll bet you'd be the first to volunteer.

But you guys got Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck and Sarah Palin. Oh, and you have abortion-bombers you can call up when/if you need them. You also have all the guns in the nation so I'm sure if Rush puts out the call to go shoot up a few town-hall meetings, your side will find plenty guys only too happy to do it. I'll bet you'd be the first to volunteer.

And you have 25 million children of welfare recipients and 15 million illegal aliens.

Wonder who has the advantage here?

Rick

Al, we gotta have a beer sometime. Assuming, of course, too many grains aren't killed in the making of said beverage, not to mention the carbon printing during the bottle manufacturing process-- nor the waste, heat, oxygen, life, pastureland, etc...

Last edited:
You also have all the guns in the nation so I'm sure if Rush puts out the call to go shoot up a few town-hall meetings

I dont know if everyone has a gun but it is true that, unlike you and the California libs, I would like to have something on hand to defend myself with other than a garlic press.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Al, we gotta have a beer sometime. Assuming, of course, too many grains aren't killed in the making of said beverage, not to mention the carbon printing during the bottle manufacturing process-- nor the waste, heat, oxygen, life, pastureland, etc...

Oh, not all those libs are exactly eating low on the food chain. Have you seen a picture of Ozone Gore lately? What the hell is trying to do, convince everyone he is actually a beefalo?

Last edited:
Back