Med Supp Question

NCnatwidagent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ok, I have a newbie question....(i've been life&health licensed for 17yrs but this is different.)
I just got my Med Supp /LTC license 2wks ago. Went thru all the pre-licensing class, passed the state exam...all is good.
Now, I'm trying to get contracted with a couple companies and have some contracts. Seems that I have to go thru certification to be appointed? Looks like a test on what I just passed!
Does an agent have to go thru the certification tests with all companies? Or is this just up to each company?
Also, once certified, is this an annual certification or is it good for the life of the appointment?
Maybe some of you more seasoned Med Supp agents can answer.
Thanks!
John

Ok, I have a newbie question....(i've been life&health licensed for 17yrs but this is different.)
I just got my Med Supp /LTC license 2wks ago. Went thru all the pre-licensing class, passed the state exam...all is good.
Now, I'm trying to get contracted with a couple companies and have some contracts. Seems that I have to go thru certification to be appointed? Looks like a test on what I just passed!
Does an agent have to go thru the certification tests with all companies? Or is this just up to each company?
Also, once certified, is this an annual certification or is it good for the life of the appointment?
Maybe some of you more seasoned Med Supp agents can answer.
Thanks!
John

The only Med Supp company that requires certification to sell Med Supps is UHC to sell AARP. None of the other companies require certification, they don't even require E&O.

I offer contracts for Med Supps, if any of them did I would be aware of it.

Thanks guys! Right now I'm looking over a contract for United Health / AARP and one for Mutual of Omaha.
Yep, only the UH contract says anything about certification.
Is it worth the hassle to go thru it for United? Are the premiums vs benefits that much different? OR would MoO be a good start for the first company to be appointed with?

Thanks guys! Right now I'm looking over a contract for United Health / AARP and one for Mutual of Omaha.
Is it worth the hassle to go thru it for United? Are the premiums vs benefits that much different? OR would MoO be a good start for the first company to be appointed with?

Yes, it is worth it to get the contract with them. They have one of the most liberal apps. Sometimes you need somebody to take less healthy clients. Also, good idea to get appointed with MOO and any other companies in your state that offers competitive premiums. Always nice to go into different counties and be able to offer the best premiums. Need plenty of comanies under your belt in order to do that.

I have both, send me your e-mail address and I can send you the contracts and commission schedules to look over. It won't hurt to check and see what several different FMO's have to offer.

Worth the hassle? It's a pain in the butt but it could make the difference in whether or not you write an app on a person. If you only four or five a year then it may be worth it to you.

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Hey John,
According to my Med Supp guy here (Scott), in North Carolina the United Health Care contract is a competitive contract, however, it is not the only contract out there. United Health Care does carry the AARP moniker which does make it attractive to clients. If you are looking for contracts that require less certification time we do offer several. Call or email if you want any more details. Thanks!

-Jeremy

There aren't any companies that require "less certification" because no other Med Supp company requires requires any kind of certification except UHC/AARP.

MOO is always a good company to have a contract with, however, you will always want to be in a position where you are representing the company that is the most competitive in the areas where you are selling.

It could be company A this month but that company may have a premium increase then company B will be the one you want to be selling. Agents need to be contracted with several Med Supp companies. Just having one or two contracts generally won't cut it.

Back