Medicaid Medicare Question FL

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I usually dont deal with the Medicaid market, but every now and then I'll throw these people a bone and help them...

I have someone who is T65 november. and the $104/mo pt b premium would eat up about 20% of her monthly income. So Medicaid/medicare obviously is a good choice for her. But looking at the website, it looks like to qualify for the Medicare savings program, she would have to be 65. Does this mean she has to wait until November to apply? Or can we apply now so it starts in November with her Medicare?

I usually dont deal with the Medicaid market, but every now and then I'll throw these people a bone and help them... I have someone who is T65 november. and the $104/mo pt b premium would eat up about 20% of her monthly income. So Medicaid/medicare obviously is a good choice for her. But looking at the website, it looks like to qualify for the Medicare savings program, she would have to be 65. Does this mean she has to wait until November to apply? Or can we apply now so it starts in November with her Medicare?

I usually apply for it 3 months before. But let her know that it could take a long while and she should prob take a part b refund plan now just in case it doesn't go through in time. Then move her to the Medicaid plan with that same company when time. Warning, Medicaid clients rarely stick. Can't tell you the numerous times I've helped them get Medicaid only for them to change their plan in 2 months because another agent convinced them to change...to a plan with the same benefits

I usually apply for it 3 months before. But let her know that it could take a long while and she should prob take a part b refund plan now just in case it doesn't go through in time. Then move her to the Medicaid plan with that same company when time. Warning, Medicaid clients rarely stick. Can't tell you the numerous times I've helped them get Medicaid only for them to change their plan in 2 months because another agent convinced them to change...to a plan with the same benefits

I have heard that a hundred times from different agents. which is why I usually turn down the business. But every now and then I come across someone who I feel I built a pretty good rapport with, and I will take the risk.

Humana and Careplus will do "social services referrals"(i think thats what they call it) they can process Medicaid lightning quick. You can 3way the call and get it done in 5 mins, at the same time get them food stamps and a cell phone(if eligible). They'll get the card within 20 days or so.

After assisting them with all that, bring up how much $ you just saved them and repeat, repeat, repeat, don't let anyone else let you change. If you see something that looks good or you think you need to change, call me.

Still not an ideal client base but that usually builds enough trust to keep the bulk of them on the books.

I've had good retention on majority of duals. Call every 4 months to review their benefits and encourage them to use whatever they have. Review providers and meds , ask for referrals, and remind them to stay put during AEP. LOL

Humana and Careplus will do "social services referrals"(i think thats what they call it) they can process Medicaid lightning quick. You can 3way the call and get it done in 5 mins, at the same time get them food stamps and a cell phone(if eligible). They'll get the card within 20 days or so.

After assisting them with all that, bring up how much $ you just saved them and repeat, repeat, repeat, don't let anyone else let you change. If you see something that looks good or you think you need to change, call me.

Still not an ideal client base but that usually builds enough trust to keep the bulk of them on the books.

Thanks for this information, just realized I was told this in training class.:idea:

In North Fl anyway even those who have full straight medicaid before starting Medicare have to specifically apply for the Medicare Savings program otherwise the state will not pay their part B premium.Also if your submitting the MSP application to DCF for them do NOT send it in more than 30 days before their part B effective date otherwise it will be kicked back because because medicaid is sort of based on month to month qualify.This is the reason why you have to wait until 12/1 to submit DSNP plans for a 1/1 effective date in AEP .

I think an agent is crazy not to fill out and fax in to DCF the 3 page paper MSP application for the client.It only takes 5 minutes,they will be your best bud forever ,You know it gets done,it has good information on it you may find helpful at later time i.e do you have Life Insurance if so what is death benefit, name of ins. co, cash value and policy number ( for extra credit I sometimes also ask premium paid) and very important in some cases the short form paper application does not ask all the questions about living expenses, additional asset questions i.e motorcycles that the full online application ask that can bog down the process or even cause cause denials for those who normally would qualify i.e. does anybody else live with you if so what is their income.If they have a roommate you have to answer that on full application so now the household income includes that too.

Many of the Social Services depts of carriers that handles this will ask for them to send a copy of 3 months of bank statements, utility bills etc. before they send form in so many times it doesn't get completed or it's delayed because of that.Oh and if that not incentive enough to keep it out of the carriers social service peoples hands I have had incidences where the client was transferred to telesales and I was cut out of the loop.At least don't send let social services get it until you have them enrolled.

Back