Medicare Adjusting Part B Dates

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
This is an odd one- suggestions please.

Client signed up for B online, on April 10 for an effective date of 5/1- his B-day is May 13.

SSA sent him a letter looking for his birth certificate/proof of DOB, which he took care of at the beginning of last week, which matches what was put in the form. He received another letter yesterday saying that B would not start until 6/1.

If we took care of everything the month prior to his birthday, why would they push the date forward a month? Anyone have experience with this? Know how to fix it? I'm trying to avoid throwing him to the wolves at SSA, if at all possible.

I think it's because he enrolled with less than a full month before turning 65. Even though his birthday is May 13, you are trying to get a May 1 effective after enrolling not until April 10. I had this happen before and its what I was told by SSA. Hope that helps:)

This is an odd one- suggestions please.

Client signed up for B online, on April 10 for an effective date of 5/1- his B-day is May 13.

SSA sent him a letter looking for his birth certificate/proof of DOB, which he took care of at the beginning of last week, which matches what was put in the form. He received another letter yesterday saying that B would not start until 6/1.

If we took care of everything the month prior to his birthday, why would they push the date forward a month? Anyone have experience with this? Know how to fix it? I'm trying to avoid throwing him to the wolves at SSA, if at all possible.

Should be eligible for 5/1/15 effective.My guess would be he is a person who has a record that shows a different dob then his actual dob.Not uncommon.

When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov

When will my coverage start?
If you sign up for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) during the first 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, your coverage starts the first day of your birthday month, unless your birthday is on the first day of the month.

Example
Mr. Green's 65th birthday is July 20, 2015. If he signs up for Medicare in April, May, or June, his coverage will start on July 1, 2015.
If your birthday is on the first day of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the prior month.

Example
Mr. Kim's 65th birthday is July 1, 2015. If he signs up for Medicare in March, April, or May, his coverage will start on June 1, 2015.
When will my Medicare coverage start?

If you sign up for Part A/ B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65 1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
During the January 1–March 31 General Enrollment Period July 1

It turns out that SSA/Medicare had a completely different birthday for him- 6/5/50. No idea how that even happened. My guess is that someone entered it incorrectly when he immigrated from Canada. He gave SSA proof of DOB and SSA said that it will take 30+ days to fix it. In the mean time, he has cancelled his individual health insurance. It's going to be a nightmare to fix.

Back