Medicare Advantage 48 Hour Rule

My understanding is that if you are discussing Med supps, but then the prospect asks about something less expensive, that you could pull out the SOA immediately and then talk to them about MA.
But if discussing non-health related products (eg final expense) that the 48 hr rule would have to be observed.

My understanding too! All my appointments are set for Med Supp, if they bring up Part C, then I give them a SOA to sign right there. I waited for a lady for an hour... & at 8:45 PM I had to walk out because she would not sign the SOA and wanted me to explain Part C.

Last edited:
If you are sitting at a med supp appointment and they ask about MA's, then get the SOA signed. You are still supposed to wait 48 hours before you can discuss, UNLESS, you have a good reason for not waiting 48 hours. Inconvenience to the client is a very good reason! ;)

i play by the rules best i can understand them but these bureaucrats who invent these 48 hour riles dont even on the SOA have a date signed line next to the prospects signature----how "typical government" is that with all the hubbub about 48 hr compliance and no way to flag otherwise

i play by the rules best i can understand them but these bureaucrats who invent these 48 hour riles dont even on the SOA have a date signed line next to the prospects signature----how "typical government" is that with all the hubbub about 48 hr compliance and no way to flag otherwise

You are EXACTLY right about the date signed line. Some guy making 120K a year designed the form that could end our careers and FORGOT to add a simple Date Line!

SCARY S**T !!!

Last edited:
You are EXACTLY right about the date signed line. Some guy making 120K a year designed the form that could end our careers and FORGOT to add a simple Date Line!

SCARY S**T !!!

Or.... deliberately didn't add it in, which is what I assume. Probably was an agent at one point.....

This is what I received from HealthNet, I know they are under sanctions right now, but this is an update from them and I think they are more worried about being correct then someone that is not.

SCOPE OF APPOINTMENT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

(FAQs)Question 1: A Producer has a pre-scheduled appointment at a beneficiary’s home to discussMedicare Supplement plans. No Scope of Appointment was obtained. During the meeting, thebeneficiary asks about Medicare Advantage (MA) and/or PDP plans. Can the Producer discussMA or Part D plans?

Answer: Yes, if the beneficiary initiates discussion about MA or Part D plans, theProducer may have the beneficiary complete a Scope of Appointment form and continuewith the discussion about MA or Part D plans.

Hoooray!!!!

This is what I received from HealthNet, I know they are under sanctions right now, but this is an update from them and I think they are more worried about being correct then someone that is not.

SCOPE OF APPOINTMENT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

(FAQs)Question 1: A Producer has a pre-scheduled appointment at a beneficiary’s home to discussMedicare Supplement plans. No Scope of Appointment was obtained. During the meeting, thebeneficiary asks about Medicare Advantage (MA) and/or PDP plans. Can the Producer discussMA or Part D plans?

Answer: Yes, if the beneficiary initiates discussion about MA or Part D plans, theProducer may have the beneficiary complete a Scope of Appointment form and continuewith the discussion about MA or Part D plans.

Latest posts

Back