Medicare Advantage/Medicare ID

TwoCents

Guru
100+ Post Club
Do you always make sure to look at the Medicare ID card when meeting with an enrollee -- esp. a T65 -- to make sure they actually have Parts A & B? If you take their word for it, have you ever had a carrier reject the application? If so, how did you help your client get enrolled after the rejection happened?

Do you always make sure to look at the Medicare ID card when meeting with an enrollee -- esp. a T65 -- to make sure they actually have Parts A & B? If you take their word for it, have you ever had a carrier reject the application? If so, how did you help your client get enrolled after the rejection happened?

Yes, you should look at the card. Sometimes they have funny #'s. If you have one rejected, call the company and see how they want you to handle it.

I know this was a hypothetical question, but which company rejected it?;)

Yes look. And if the cant find it call SSA confirm ID and effective dates. If you want to guess you can as always go to medicare.gov, check enrollment status. If info entered is corect then you know you are good to go.

Yes. Because sometimes the client thinks they have both A &B but they don't, or women enroll under their husband's SS or widow benefits, or they have a different letter at the end (A, W2, T, D B etc...)

Yes. You might try to contract with a carrier who will verify the info for you if the prospect is not sure or can't present a card. I use Healthspring, which is useless for mostly everything else, but does provide that service for me when I need it.

The only times that I haven't looked at the card is when it's a T65 appt, and they don't have the card yet.

Thanks for the feedback all. Haven't had one reject yet; just wanted to be prepared.

I was wondering how you can "not" look at the card when you're filling out the application? Not being able to see a card is a show stopper, isn't it?

I was wondering how you can "not" look at the card when you're filling out the application? Not being able to see a card is a show stopper, isn't it?
Not necessarily. I'll write without the card in their hand yet. I know one carrier, Aetna, even has a place to write "no Medicare card yet" in the card number space on the application. They will send a form for the policy holder to return with the card number once they get it.

Not necessarily. I'll write without the card in their hand yet. I know one carrier, Aetna, even has a place to write "no Medicare card yet" in the card number space on the application. They will send a form for the policy holder to return with the card number once they get it.

Writing one tomorrow like that. First one with Aetna. Can I do that with the E app?

Back