Medicare Advantage and Part D Star Ratings

AgentPipeline

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
CMS released a FACT SHEET on its 2011 star ratings for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D plans. Here is link to CMS’s website where you can download all of the MA & PDP star ratings by plan.

I’m interested on how you use star ratings when choosing an MA or PDP for you clients. Most companies are in the 3-4 range, so it may not make much of a difference. How are you useing them or do you even take them into consideration?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm trying to put together some agent thoughts for a blog post. Here is a link to the post. Hope this helps.

According to 2 carriers, the star ratings were based off the data from the 2008 plan year that we're currently seeing on the plans.

Is that relevant to the plans now? I don't really know.

When people ask me about it, I explain to them that there are 30+ criteria for the star ratings, that CMS uses it to determine compensation and that every carrier would love to have a 5 because it would mean they got paid more.

The government must be mad at Humana, on the medicare website plan finder it has this next to all of the Humana MAPD Plans.....

poorperformer.gif
Caution: For three years in a row, the Medicare program has given this plan a low rating. If you are considering enrolling in this plan, look closely at the detailed ratings for this plan.

No other MAPD plan has it next to it, just Humana

Back