MAPD to MedSupp Change

saintstigers

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
First time I've come into this situation. Husband/wife on a $0 plan premium MAPD and wants to switch to a Med Supp Plan that will cost them about $200/month.

Check me on my understanding of the proper process...they will have to cancel their MAPD plan effective Dec 31 and some time during OE, apply for a Med Supp and Part D plan for Jan 1, 2016 eff date. Correct? Anything else I should take into consideration or be wary of?

Oct 15th you can write the med sup and pdp, the pdp will cancel their MAPD plan out Dec 31. The only thing you may have to wary about is underwriting. If this is their first year into the MAPD they had a free trial period and you should not have worry about uw.

First time I've come into this situation. Husband/wife on a $0 plan premium MAPD and wants to switch to a Med Supp Plan that will cost them about $200/month.

Check me on my understanding of the proper process...they will have to cancel their MAPD plan effective Dec 31 and some time during OE, apply for a Med Supp and Part D plan for Jan 1, 2016 eff date. Correct? Anything else I should take into consideration or be wary of?

Most companies will only let you write a policy 60 days out, so you'd have to wait until November 1st or 2nd to write it. Aetna and New Era are 2 exceptions, as they'll go 90 days out and you can write them in October.

Most companies will only let you write a policy 60 days out, so you'd have to wait until November 1st or 2nd to write it. Aetna and New Era are 2 exceptions, as they'll go 90 days out and you can write them in October.
And with Aetna it is exactly 90 days. Not three months. I tried to submit two yesterday but because there are 31 days in October and December we were 92 days out from 1/1 so the e-app would not allow a 1/1 effective date to be entered. I will have the applicants place voice signatures on them Monday. I like to submit them early so as soon AEP starts on 10/15 I can write the PDP that will get them out of the MAPD.

I suggest applying for the med supp first and then once approved, enrolling them into a PDP using AEP which will in turn take them off the MA plan. make sure they are approved before doing anything with the other coverage.

I suggest applying for the med supp first and then once approved, enrolling them into a PDP using AEP which will in turn take them off the MA plan. make sure they are approved before doing anything with the other coverage.

Good advice thanks!

And with Aetna it is exactly 90 days. Not three months. I tried to submit two yesterday but because there are 31 days in October and December we were 92 days out from 1/1 so the e-app would not allow a 1/1 effective date to be entered.

Had the same issue a few days ago. Had to look at a calendar and count days.

Life can be cruel.

Back