Mapd Replaces Medicare?

Re: Mapd Replcaes Medicare?

Had client call me today needed to get some diagnostic testing, the doctors office tell her she's "replaced" her original medicare with this new humana ppo mapd...now she cant get her xrays and lab-work for free which I know she can't with an mapd but why would the dr tell her she lost her original Medicare?

thanx

The girls in the doctors office sometimes like to scare their patients who switched to MA.Like when the provider is oon on the ma plan or when the provider prefers patients who have OM and med supp. for their own financial reasons.

Tell her she is still in the medicare program and that she didn't lose part A or B but now has part C . Say you know one of those " all in one plans with part D built in "

BTW their are many ma plans in Florida that have 0 copays for pcp, labs and xrays

Last edited:
Also some retiree PPO plans have 100% coverage for all covered services, mostly union plans so that might be the case.

Again-IMPORTANT CAVEAT-not an agent match what I say to what others say. I don't have a license that will suffer from mistakes.

Search online for the Medicare and You book-hunt through it for the diagram that talks about Parts A, B, C and D of Medicare. That will give you a pictorial representation of the flows.

When you go to an MAPD you are in Part C territory rather than A,B & D.

Consider GreenSky's remarks about medicare BENEFITS.

I believe when CMS uses the term "Original Medicare" they are speaking of parts A, B and D.

ONLY PARTS A AND B PER CORRECTION BELOW.

Last edited:

No. Just A and B.

That's what I get for not looking up the flow chart first. I'll go study it again myself tomorrow.

(I just need to start a reading program next week and reread the entire Medicare and you Manual myself! Thanks for correcting me.)

Last edited:

What we are told time and time again in F2F training, "you are still a part of Medicare. But the MA is now your primary and pays, not Medicare. You now will have Part A, B, C and D. "

And this is what I tell people.

Also, ppo's in FL do have $0 lab and X-rays, to the person who said it's not possible.

To the OP, yes they would have copay's with just A and B so the Dr's office was wrong

I can't wait for someone to quote chapter and verse from CMS. Perhaps someone who simply trolls here can do it.

Rick

Do non agents really have that much time on their hands? It would have to be someone with absolutely nothing better to do with their time. Do these people exist?

I remember reading that mapd plan administer thier Medicare but they never lose original Medicare. I explained what a med supp is compared to mapd and she couldn't afford it. so when someone gets an mapd plan it replaces thier original Medicare or does it administer it??

I bet she'll think twice as to what she can afford now!

Back