Mapd Replaces Medicare?

Re: Mapd Replcaes Medicare?

What we are told time and time again in F2F training, "you are still a part of Medicare. But the MA is now your primary and pays, not Medicare. You now will have Part A, B, C and D. "

I disagreed with this when you posted it elsewhere. I have been puzzling on it since it popped up here. Comparing it to "the chart" in Medicare and you this morning, I think it is finally starting to soak into my thick head.

Thanks for persisting.

NO THEY DON'T!
MAPD members are STILL a medicare member with all the rights and privileges of Medicare. You may still file a grievance or an appeal but for all intents and purposes the MAPD carrier provides for your healthcare.

Actually, medical professionals provide your health care. Insurance just helps pay for those services.

Medicare.gov has a publications section. Some are pretty good to print and take to client meetings. When I have a person who is aging in and very confused (mostly by friends and family throwing the word "supplement" around regardless of if they have on or an MA or MAPD as well as a bunch of seemingly random letters) I trot out "A Quick Look at Medicare", which is publication #11514.

Just go to the publications page and type the name or number and it comes up. Easy to understand, basic info and a nice chart.

It's scarey that agents sell this stuff and don't understand the core basics of it.

If you are on origional Medicare then you are covered by Parts A & B. You can buy a supplement that pay the deductibles and co-pays. You can buy a Part D Plan to help cover RXs.

Or you can choose to go on Part C which will suspend your A&B coverage and will replace it with a privatized health care plan. They are not covered by A&B during the time they choose to be on Part C. It's one way or the other.

People should not be learning how it works from their doctor's office. They should learn from you. And they shouldn't have much trouble with out of network Dr. sent you just matched them with a plan where their doctors are in network. They should already know if they choose a new doctor that they need to choose one that is in network.

This is the very basic, first day on the job stuff.

Part of the reason for all this confusion, I think, is vocabulary and the different nuances of meanings folks attach to it.

After studying on comments above, I see that: According to CMS, one still has Part A and Part B insurance in a Medicare Advantage plan.

That language goes all the way back to Social Security rules and getting people signed up for Medicare Part A coverage and Medicare part B coverage, followed by CMS rules for Part D. In those rules, "part names" are vocabulary for the "types" of medical coverage/service provided. The part names are NOT vocabulary for the mechanics of HOW the medical coverage/service is provided. That is my current understanding anyway, and I thank Chazm for pushing and pushing and pushing to make me think and read and see that.

Last edited:
Part of the reason for all this confusion, I think, is vocabulary and the different nuances of meanings folks attach to it.

After studying on comments above, I see that: According to CMS, one still has Part A and Part B insurance in a Medicare Advantage plan.

You are required to HAVE Parts A&B while you are on Part C (Medicare Advantage) but they are not active.

You know Lost Dollar there is a whole forum of guys just like you called the Bogglehead Forum. Very entertaining group of do it yourself financial guys that want to avoid ever having to use an agent for anything. You would fit right in. You would be considered their Medicare expert on that forum with just the limited knowledge you have. You could go there and be their leader.

You could go there and be their leader.

He should go ANYWHERE. I can't believe all of us haven't put his on ignore. I did yesterday and am amazed that I see him posting in damn near every thread even though I no longer can read his posts. One would think he actually added value.

I still think he should post in an airplane forum. He knows nothing about that either.

Now, he will definitely respond to this post and the good news is I won't have to see his crap.

Rick

You are required to HAVE Parts A&B while you are on Part C (Medicare Advantage) but they are not active.

Newby,
I have great respect for you and I appreciate posts you have made. For example your office and seminar information have given me a great deal of food for thought. There is an old FE thread about selling in funeral homes that clarified that that was not likely to work well for me. Stapling the business card to water bottles was a great marketing tip. The aluminum foil hat, or whatever that was, was priceless. I really hate to get into another controversy here, but because of another thread and a post above, I have had to look at this issue in Medicare and You.

Page 83 of the 2016 Medicare and You disagrees with your statement I quoted above.

As I said, I think the confusions come from variations in the way the terms are used.

Medicare and You (on page references I've cited here) (and also the social security enrollment procedures if I remember correctly) refer to Part A as hospital insurance and Part B as medical insurance. They do not refer to Part A as the delivery of Hospital services through the original, pre medicare advantage, medicare system, nor do they refer to Part B as the delivery of medical services through the original, pre-medicare advantage medicare system.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but we had a discussion sometime back about a point in regard to life insurance which I insisted was correct. You told me that my comment was exactly opposite what your training had been and also contrary to the practice of every life insurance company you personally knew about. Finally I found the right spot in my ExamFX book and it supported precisely what you said.

I am doing no different here. I am looking at CMS documentation. Page 17 of 2016 Medicare is pointed and clear and states unequivocally that both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage include Part A and Part B insurance.

Parts A and B are considered as types of services to be insured, not as methods of delivery of service. (I would be saying the same thing if I was a trainee agent face to face with you on a weekly call.)

As far as agents are concerned, I have a forum member for a Medicare agent, I am working on getting a forum member for financial planning and life insurance advice, BECAUSE I can evaluate his business philosphies from his posts here. I hope I can figure out a way to find an honest forum member p and c agent licensed in my state.

I don't care squat about Rick's airplane forum, whatever that is. If I had the temerity to mention bogleheads on this forum, I would receive a raft of posts that go like "If you want to take ________ advice from your barber, don't bother posting here and asking us." The people here are experienced, independent, forthright and straight speaking. Unfortunately, I've p@@@&& a number of them off, but I'm still right where I need to be, learning something every day. The forums are exactly like sales, some folks get angry with you, others will talk with you.

Last edited:
Newby,
I have great respect for you and I appreciate posts you have made. For example your office and seminar information have given me a great deal of food for thought. There is an old FE thread about selling in funeral homes that clarified that that was not likely to work well for me. Stapling the business card to water bottles was a great marketing tip. The aluminum foil hat, or whatever that was, was priceless. I really hate to get into another controversy here, but because of another thread and a post above, I have had to look at this issue in Medicare and You.

Page 83 of the 2016 Medicare and You disagrees with your statement I quoted above.

As I said, I think the confusions come from variations in the way the terms are used.

Medicare and You (on page references I've cited here) (and also the social security enrollment procedures if I remember correctly) refer to Part A as hospital insurance and Part B as medical insurance. They do not refer to Part A as the delivery of Hospital services through the original, pre medicare advantage, medicare system, nor do they refer to Part B as the delivery of medical services through the original, pre-medicare advantage medicare system.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but we had a discussion sometime back about a point in regard to life insurance which I insisted was correct. You told me that my comment was exactly opposite what your training had been and also contrary to the practice of every life insurance company you personally knew about. Finally I found the right spot in my ExamFX book and it supported precisely what you said.

I am doing no different here. I am looking at CMS documentation. Page 17 of 2016 Medicare is pointed and clear and states unequivocally that both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage include Part A and Part B insurance.

Parts A and B are considered as types of services to be insured, not as methods of delivery of service. (I would be saying the same thing if I was a trainee agent face to face with you on a weekly call.)

As far as agents are concerned, I have a forum member for a Medicare agent, I am working on getting a forum member for financial planning and life insurance advice, BECAUSE I can evaluate his business philosphies from his posts here. I hope I can figure out a way to find an honest forum member p and c agent licensed in my state.

I don't care squat about Rick's airplane forum, whatever that is. If I had the temerity to mention bogleheads on this forum, I would receive a raft of posts that go like "If you want to take ________ advice from your barber, don't bother posting here and asking us." The people here are experienced, independent, forthright and straight speaking. Unfortunately, I've p@@@&& a number of them off, but I'm still right where I need to be, learning something every day. The forums are exactly like sales, some folks get angry with you, others will talk with you.

There is no amount of "training" or reading of government pamphlets that would ever give you the real world knowledge of working with the products every day for many years. Just select a good agent and trust their judgement.

The booklets are written by committees. There is a lot of politics involved in what goes in them. They are not written in a way to actually help consumers understand what to do. The whole Medicare Parts C and D are still considered to be George Bush plans by the democrats who HATE taking government program money and giving it to "for profit" insurance companies.

All that political posturing is a big reason why they don't simplify everything into real world consumer information.

Back