MEdicare Advantage Question

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
came across a guy today who missed his initial open enrollment period by one week. He was out of state since august. He wants to sign up for Preferred Care Partners. His birthday is in November (just turned 65 in novemeber)
As I understand the laws, his Initial Open enrollment ended Feb 28.
And i cannot sign him up for the plan until October now.

Is there any loopholes I may not know about so I can help this guy, or anyway I can still get him enrolled?

Initial Coverage Election Period (ICEP)The period where individuals newly eligible for Medicare can join a Medicare Advantage plan. This period is 7 months: 3 months before Medicare eligibility, the month when both Part A and Part B benefits start, and 3 months after. If a person delays enrolling in Part B because he or she is covered by an employer group health plan, the ICEP is 3 months; the 3 months before both Part A and Part B benefits are effective. For example, if both Part A and Part B benefits start December 1, the 3-month ICEP starts September 1 and ends November 31

came across a guy today who missed his initial open enrollment period by one week. He was out of state since august. He wants to sign up for Preferred Care Partners. His birthday is in November (just turned 65 in novemeber)

Is there any loopholes I may not know about so I can help this guy, or anyway I can still get him enrolled?

Assuming he was collecting SS and was auto enrolled in part B is IEP is over.You are in Florida right? One thing you can try if he dosen't have more than 7,000.00 in liquid assets is to apply for Medicaid.If his income is over the 1300 monthly limit they will deny him the medicare savings program but as long as his liquid assets are less than 7,000.00 the sate of Fl will give him a medically needy share of cost and since this is still a type of medicaid you can use the sep for that.Doesn't matter how much his income is.

He is still in open enrollment. Open enrollment is for med sups. He has missed his ICEP for MA plans and PDP's.

What about LIS or a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program? Any chance he would qualify for either or those?

He is in good health, and a business owner that would not qualify for medicaid. His wife uses preferred care partners, and thats what he wants. He does not want to "waste" money on a med supp that he would "never use". in his mind its MA or nothing.

yes, I am in florida.

I'm thinking I will have to wait until October to sign him up... missed him by a week :-/

Given the cuts proposed for MA there is no guarantee he'll even find an MA plan with decent benefits. What would he do if PCP doesn't exist in Jan.

Tell the *** to spend the money for a med supp now just so he has options for the future.

Rick

Back