Medicare Advantage Training?/Transfer Program?

I'm afraid I will have to take issue with this #1. My dad has been on Coventry MAPD since 2009. I told him to take the premium savings, and stash it away in case he ever needed to go into the hospital. Well, September of 2014 through December of 2014, he had four operations. It cost him a whopping $4,365.00. Met his OOP in October of that year. Was back in the hospital in January of 2015. Met his OOP in January of 2015. Now, all that being said, I still wanted Aetna to close that plan, so I could move him to a Med Supp, but it was not to be. For those that had a group health plan at work, that didn't mind being "nickeled and dimed" until they met a MOOP, than an MAPD is for them. By the way, my dad was 80 in 2009, so do the math as to what the monthly premiums would have been for a Plan F for him then. Once my dad kicks, I am only going to sell Med Supps. Already out of the PDP game. Not worth it.
Plan N seems to be a nice alternative to a MAPD. When you get outside metro areas people have $6700 MOOP. Most people won't save the difference. Just like they didn't buy term and invest the difference.

Based on your comments, #2, I assume your dad could afford to pay the Medigap premium.

My comment was qualified.

It still is.

If the person cannot afford a Medigap plan they can't afford to get sick on an MA plan.

Most people won't save the difference. Just like they didn't buy term and invest the difference.

Bingo!

"If the person cannot afford a Medigap plan they can't afford to get sick on an MA plan."

That's what I thought until my wife had heart surgery 8 months after going on a MAPD plan. Her bill came about 8 weeks after the operation, 1200 bucks, 5 days in hospital. If she hadn't been able to write a check, the hospital would have put her on a never-never. If she stiffed them totally, they already got the bulk of their money. Because I had jumped up and down and screamed "that premium you're not spending is NOT for spoiling grandchildren" she was able to write a check.

Since 2008 I have only heard of one case of a provider wanting upfront payment and I have my doubts about that.

ICA=Independent Career Agent?

Out of curiosity, how much were other bills associated with her stay?

well in the U65 market wanting payment up-front is now the standard even
co=pays on doctors visits, pay on the way in not the way out..

ICA=Independent Career Agent?
Yes.
Out of curiosity, how much were other bills associated with her stay?

1200 bux, title, tax and tags out the door! Surgeon,gas passer, RN's, TV, Rx's and all the wonderful food. On sales appointments, I say it's like an all-inclusive resort, only more fun. This was in 2009, her plan today would cost closer to $2k for the same surgery. And I think follow-up visits with the surgeon were included as well.

----------

Thank you for proving my point.

What point? If she didn't have the money, she had already had the care by the time the hospital would have known.

Why not sell a HIP plan to cover some of those OOP costs?

Makes sense to me. It won't cover all of them, but with the savings on premium, and a good HIP, you can cover your OOP costs pretty effectively.

If you want to do right by your client, you would make the effort to at least have that option available. It IS about doing what's best for the client, afterall.

Med Supp is the superior product, no question, but let's not get carried away. MAPD has it's place and works very well for the right person. Also, take notice that MAPD coverage and rates vary drastically from one area to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Back