Medicare Advantage Training?/Transfer Program?

I just saw this thread and had to share a conversation I had with a producer yesterday. He's 55 years old and spent the last five years focused, exclusively on Medicare Advantage.

According to him, these are his results:

Every AEP season, he literally scrambles 12 to 15 hours a day trying to keep his clients on the books, or;

there is often a significant change (always to the negative) in the provider network of the plans he represents that causes his people to FREAK OUT when they get their new change notification. He then scrambles to find the suitable replacement and has to replace hundreds of people all at once and explain why what he recommended has changed so drastically, again, always to the negative.

He says he never has time to prospect for new clients by doing the only compliant thing he can do - direct mail approved by CMS and the carrier, because he's constantly putting out fires, answering ANGRY clients and having to try to conserve business.

Here is a contrast...

Medicare Supplements -

• CAN do cold calling (phone), direct mail, Facebook, Google advertising, blogging, etc. to drum up business YEAR ROUND.
  • No annual certifications needed, where if you fail twice you can't sell for that year (or is it 3x?)
  • Clients have NO network issues.
  • Med Supp companies do not routinely go out of business, making it a necessity to move ALL OF THEM in one 6 week period.
  • No federal oversight on every word coming out of your mouth. Tell the truth and you're OK.

So, this is why I focus on Medicare Supplements. It is stable, six (typically) years of payouts with folks happy with their freedom.

YES, I recognize they're not for everybody, but neither is my help.

If I choose to be a cabinet maker and someone needs a dishwasher installed, I don't try to go focus on dishwashers, I refer it out. I'm much happier as a result of staying in my fast, profitable lane, helping those that are good prospects for what I have to offer.

"The riches are in the niches."

cw

Not quite sure where your friend gets his clients, but here, in Atlanta, specifically in the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area, where most of my Medicare clients are:

I don't scramble every year. They are strong referrals from Financial Planners, current clients, and family members. So there is no worry as to where they are going after each year.

If they go to Emory/St. Joe's, Northside, or Kennestone hospitals - which 98% of them do - their doctors have been in the same networks now since 2008. So, no concern there either.

I keep in touch with them all year round, and never have to worry about other agents contacting them. Did I mention they were REFERRALS from Financial Planners, friends, current clients, and family members?

Now, do I put every senior in to a MA? Heck no.

Like I said, more and more of my business is in the Med Supp market. Especially since Plan N came around. Also do a great deal of Plan G.

I no longer do PDP's. Just refer them to medicare dot gov, and wish them well.

----------

I don't recall ever having someone tell me they could not afford a Medigap plan. Yet almost every day, agents use the excuse that their prospects/clients say they buy MA because they can't afford Medigap.

Where are these people?

Never said, "Can't afford". Said, "Would rather have."

It's like saying, "If you can't afford a Mercedes Benz, you can't afford the service on a Kia."

Did I mention they were REFERRALS from Financial Planners, friends, current clients, and family members?

That is awesome. I recently interviewed a super smart gal in Texas (who is on here on the forums) who went through her process of getting referrals from financial planners for Medicare clients. That is a GREAT way to generate business.

In places like Florida, the networks change quite a bit. I'm very glad your Atlanta market is that stable!

CW

Never said, "Can't afford". Said, "Would rather have."

Was not directed at you #2. Just a general observation of countless people that say their clients cannot afford a Medigap plan.

Still wondering where these people are.

Interesting to see the biased opinions. Aren't we supposed to serve the best interest of the client? Isn't there some CMS rule about using 'scare tactics'?

Interesting to see the biased opinions. Aren't we supposed to serve the best interest of the client?

If they want car insurance? No, I won't help them.

If they want homeowner's insurance? No I won't help them.

MAPD? Nope, not my specialty.

Just one man's opinion. There are plenty of folks that will write the freebie plans up for them and answer their complaints throughout the year. It's just not me.

The way I see or interpret MA's so far is you get what you pay for...

Zero upfront premiums yes but the back end is where they make their
money if one has major health problems.

The only way to take advantage of MA plans is good health, occasional
doctor visits, etc..

My Uncle is retiring this year and on dialysis for kidney problems....definitely not going to put him on a MA plan for sure with the high costs in the back end

ESRD folks cant get MAPD

I spoke with a man recently who asked about PDPs. I told he should be able to find one for $20-30 a month depending on meds. He asked if he then had to pay for medications. I told him yes, there would be a small co-pay. And he said "I feel like I am being raped."

Was not directed at you #2. Just a general observation of countless people that say their clients cannot afford a Medigap plan.

Still wondering where these people are.

Come ride with me one week and ill show you 20 in a row lol, they are the fe market, thats where they are :)

Interesting to see the biased opinions. Aren't we supposed to serve the best interest of the client? Isn't there some CMS rule about using 'scare tactics'?

I'm proud to say we absolutely serve the best interest of our clients. By ONLY working with people who want Med Supps.

Smart people don't walk into an Aston Martin dealership to buy a new car and want to see Ford Fiestas too.

No scare tactics needed. Sell the best, and only work with people who know it's the best.

And being in business for yourself allows you to have any opinion you want. I'm leery of someone who starts any sentence with "Isn't there some CMS rule about using..." :1err:

Last edited:
Back