Medicare Advantage Trial Right Explained

infoseeker

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
it is my understanding that if someone enrolls in a MAPD plan for the first time they can cancel at anytime within the first 12 months of having the plan and go back to original medicare. is that correct in all situations or just when you turn 65? what if you are 68 and left empoyer coverage enrolled in a MAPD plan for the first time, can you cancel and go back to original medicare in the first 12 months?

#5: (Trial Right) You dropped a Medigap policy to join a Medicare Advantage Plan (or to switch to a Medicare SELECT policy) for the first time; you have been in the plan less than a year, and you want to switch back.
The Medigap policy you had before you joined the Medicare Advantage Plan or Medicare SELECT policy, if the same insurance company you had before still sells it.

If your former Medigap policy isn't available, you can buy a Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.
As early as 60 calendar days before the date your coverage will end, but no later than 63 calendar days after your coverage ends.

Note: Your rights may last for an extra 12 months under certain circumstances.

I don't see an age qualifier in this section. Is there something I missed?

I had a guy on disability/under age 65 and he could not get a GI Medsup within the 1st year after he cancelled the MAPD.

I had a guy on disability/under age 65 and he could not get a GI Medsup within the 1st year after he cancelled the MAPD.

If he opted for an MA plan immediately after his Medicare effective date, he is GI for a year.

Otherwise, he would only be GI if he left a Med Supp for the MA plan. The act of buying an MA and then dropping it within a year does not itself create a GI into a supplement.

Rick

If he opted for an MA plan immediately after his Medicare effective date, he is GI for a year.

Otherwise, he would only be GI if he left a Med Supp for the MA plan. The act of buying an MA and then dropping it within a year does not itself create a GI into a supplement.

Rick

Not true according to MOO. He took a MAPD immediately after Part A/B started, 6 months later cancelled it and tried to get a Medsup. It is not GI. They would not issue the policy.

You can go back to original Medicare January 1st but if you are outside of your 12 month trial period you will have to pass Underwriting to get your Med Sup.

I have always been told if you take a MAPD when 1st turning 65 you have your 12 month trial period and if you are not happy with it can get a Med Sup guarantee issue. Makes sense these people should also have their 1 time trial period just like a 70 year old who had a Med Sup for 5 years and decided to try a MA plan.

Last edited:
Back