Medicare A + B + Group

somarco said:

Yeah, he's aware of that now.

A lot of older guys have trouble with premature triggering . . .

Rick is also an expert in that field. I'll let you know what his response is when he wakes up from his nap. He says he is flying a plane but we all know he doesn't have the energy level for that.

Well, young guys have that problem too.

It's called a "global block."

Is that like a mental block?

I don't like to disagree with Rick as he has "Diamond" status with Harrahs, which I take advantage of frequently.
Ricks answer was correct for Cali. Probably not for the other 57 states.

there are only 57 total states, according to one well known fella:D

Just got off the phone with a guy, age 75 and good health (did not drill down). He has been on A and B plus wifes group plan for 10 yrs.

She will retire next year and he wants to know what their options are.

Will he have to go through underwriting since he has been on B for so long or does his group coverage (which is primary) take precedence?

He qualifies for an SEP if he loses group insurance, which will allow him to enroll in a MA plan or PDP. He has lost his OE for Med Sup, but if he has creditable healthcare coverage, in most cases he will not have pre-existing exclusion limitations. The priority is that he has to get Rx coverage within 63 days of loss of drug coverage to avoid Pt D LEP (assuming his group had creditable drug coverage, too). If he gets a Med Supp, he will still need a PDP.

Can't he go to UHC med supp and not have to qualify since he has had creditable coverage and coming off group?

That is what I said. My point is that he needs to also look at his drug coverage. The timeline is 63 days for drug coverage. I don't know what timeline UHC has for enrollment with loss of health coverage, but I think it is two months.... don't ask me why it is not 63 days as well, I'm not a government bureaucrat. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Point: there is a distinction between rules for creditable healthcare coverage and creditable prescription drug coverage in Medicare. Look up HIPAA rules for under 65 and you will find more differences. The beat goes on......

Last edited:
I believe if you read the guidelines for coming off a group policy they only have 63 days not 6 months

Back