Medicare + Individual Coverage???

I'm working with a prospect, under the age of 65, however she is on Medicare due to ESRD. I tell her (rather her father who is who caregiver) options are limited because ESRD is the knockout for the majority of options Supplemental or Part C. Very few SNP plans will take a ESRD patient.

Her father asks the social worker. The workers says that the daughter can be covered due to the new law concerning pre existing conditions. The case worker told him she has never heard of ESRD exclusions.

Is getting an individual policy the way to go (we're in CA)? Will individual insurance coordinate benefits with Medicare, or vice versa?

I'm working with a prospect, under the age of 65, however she is on Medicare due to ESRD. I tell her (rather her father who is who caregiver) options are limited because ESRD is the knockout for the majority of options Supplemental or Part C. Very few SNP plans will take a ESRD patient.

Her father asks the social worker. The workers says that the daughter can be covered due to the new law concerning pre existing conditions. The case worker told him she has never heard of ESRD exclusions.

Is getting an individual policy the way to go (we're in CA)? Will individual insurance coordinate benefits with Medicare, or vice versa?

The patient IS covered (by Medicare). Supplements do not have the same pre-ex requirements that MEC plans would. I don't know all of the rules in CA, so I will let people who know that area better continue this conversation.

For Med supp I believe it depends on state laws .For EGHP only if they go with MA offered by their EGHP carrier.

ESRD & Medicare Advantage Plans | Medicare.gov

If you have ESRD, you'll usually get your health care through Original Medicare. You can only join a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) in certain situations:
If you're already in a Medicare Advantage Plan when you develop ESRD, you may be able to stay in your plan or join another plan offered by the same company.
If you’re already getting your health benefits (for example, through an employer health plan) through the same organization that offers the Medicare Advantage Plan.
If you had ESRD, but have had a successful kidney transplant, and you still qualify for Medicare benefits (based on your age or a disability), you can stay in Original Medicare, or join a Medicare Advantage Plan.
You may be able to join a Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP) for people with ESRD if one is available in your area.

If you have ESRD and are in a Medicare Advantage Plan, and the plan leaves Medicare or no longer provides coverage in your area, you have a one-time right to join another plan. You don't have to use your one-time right to join a new plan immediately.

If you go directly to Original Medicare after your plan leaves or stops providing coverage, you'll still have a one-time right to join a Medicare Advantage Plan later.

Thanks, can you link the article about Medicare and signing up for individual insurance?

Medicare was effective in '05 +/-, both A & B. She wants a regular individual plan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back