Medicare Marketing Rules----The True Purpose ?

I believe Greensky is right on point. When you look closely at the rules they have very little to with protecting the senior and more to do with controlling marketing for the benefit of MA providers.

That said - I do not do MA or PDP.

But, what can I say about MA plans if someone asks?

I would think a generic explanation of HMO. PPO etc. would be fine. Or maybe suggesting they review the CMA star ratings and compare Max Out-of-Pocket?

Because the rules have nothing to do with educating the consumer it leaves me wondering where the grey area and fine lines cross.

Is it legit for a council on aging to have a list of agents to refer callers to for buying an MAPD or Med Supp? What about the council employees themselves enrolling people into a PDP?

The Medicare Marketing Rules are really just "suggested" ways to conduct yourself. We all know CMS would never enforce these rules.

----------

What about the council employees themselves enrolling people into a PDP?

Anyone can enroll a senior in a PDP. It's when you receive a commission that the trouble starts.

The rules are not CMS rules they are the Debil's rules. They are bought and paid for by the Debil.

The Debil is completely responsible for the MIPPA regulations including the cutting agent commissions.

Many agents turn a blind eye but it's right there in front of them if they look.

CMS doesn't care what part of the capitation fee goes to agents. They care about the total of the fee.

Who cares about how much they have to give agents?

Who cares about keeping choices hidden from Medicare beneficiaries?

Answer those questions and you have the answer to the OP's question.

Thanks Guys...

Now...What is "Debil?"

The rules are not CMS rules they are the Debil's rules. They are bought and paid for by the Debil.

The Debil is completely responsible for the MIPPA regulations including the cutting agent commissions.

Many agents turn a blind eye but it's right there in front of them if they look.

CMS doesn't care what part of the capitation fee goes to agents. They care about the total of the fee.

Who cares about how much they have to give agents?

Who cares about keeping choices hidden from Medicare beneficiaries?

Answer those questions and you have the answer to the OP's question.

Its called prior to 2009 to many agents were making to much money. In 2006 I was doing work at home telemarketing because I could not afford decent daycare, driving my kids in a ford expedition with bald tires. 2007 I get my license the next year I drive a BMW. I know a lot of people who pulled themselves up through selling Medicare. The money can't go to the little guys.

I suppose a counsel on aging can have a list of agents to refer out to, depending on the counsel's view of referring people out.

CMS has the rules in place, but enforcement is really at the agent level. I suspect the carriers do not mind the rules too much as it gives them an out when there is an agent who is breaking the rules. They can say the agent went through AHIP & carrier certification, so it is not their fault.

This is posted to one particular agency's site, regarding SHIIP:

"We’re unique in that we’re an information source and advocate for seniors. We don’t sell insurance or recommend policies, agents or specific companies. This free, confidential service from the State of xxxxxxxxx provides objective information about health insurance options."

Yet I've been told at least one of the local offices enrolls people into PDPs, and they have a list of agents to refer people to when called.

As Turko would say, "It ain't right!"

Back