Medicare Part B Deductible Projected to Rise

"Projected increase" Let's see after lobbying, what the actual increase is. I don't think going into an election year, that will happen that dramatically. But yes, if it does happen, Plan F's will also rise, so the premium difference between F&G will probably remain in the same ration.

Plan G is not a "no brainer" any more.. Hmmm. Maybe Plan F is the better value in some markets.
I occasionally get the question about what happens if the Part B deductible goes up and whether Plan F is a better choice as a hedge against that. But Plan F will increase by at least the amount of the Part B increase it is paying for. Then there is the premium increase problem Plan F beneficiaries will encounter in the years after it becomes a closed book in 2020.

Conclusion: Plan G still a no brainer over F, now more than ever. I use a part of my fall seminars to address the "Plan F is best" myth and get people to leave it every seminar. This fall, with the closed book future of F, it's going to be a stronger message to get the hell out of it now if can qualify. I did have one agent tell me she uses Plan F's elimination as a selling point for it. Get it before the government takes away your right to it. Horrible advice in my view, but it has a real appeal with a certain segment.

Last edited:
I did have one agent tell me she uses Plan F's elimination as a selling point for it. Get it before the government takes away your right to it. Horrible advice in my view, but it has a real appeal with a certain segment.

Really asking this...why do you think this is horrible advice? The pool closes in 2020. Anybody left will be sick and getting older every year. So the pool gets older and sicker. Along with the rates.

I don't sell (usually) to people with current plans, just Part B virgins. But I am talking about this a lot lately to financial planners. I am very concerned with F rates after 2020.

Really asking this...why do you think this is horrible advice? The pool closes in 2020. Anybody left will be sick and getting older every year. So the pool gets older and sicker. Along with the rates.

I don't sell (usually) to people with current plans, just Part B virgins. But I am talking about this a lot lately to financial planners. I am very concerned with F rates after 2020.

You answered your own question...

Back