Medicare Part B Premiums Rise in 2016

If the increase will affect 30% of beneficiaries and less than 10% are currently paying IRMAA, it sounds like the IRMAA income tiers--which were adjusted up for inflation annually before the ACA froze them--are going to be lowered. Is there another way to read this?

I'm far from an expert on this, but that's how I read it too. Instead of the $85K/$170K (top 2% and above) it goes to top 3%? 4%? However, with the exception of those T65's who are self employed and still working, most of my clients are paying IRMAA based on 2 years ago when Part B is processed, but then they appeal and almost always get it to $104. Based on my "micro-economy" I don't think that many people actually pay IRMAA. (I spend a LOT of time talking about IRMAA and the appeal process.)

Rick is right on this. They pay more in taxes AND pay more for Part B. That's just wrong. Sad and wrong.

I found it confusing, but here are the folks that will get nailed.

Those on Medicare but not SS

New Mcare enrollees for 2016

Beneficiaries with income above $85k

Duals

That's a real hodgepodge. Almost like Congressional district maps.

Redistributing the premiums in this way is something only a politician could love.

I found it confusing, but here are the folks that will get nailed. Those on Medicare but not SS New Mcare enrollees for 2016 Beneficiaries with income above $85k Duals That's a real hodgepodge. Almost like Congressional district maps. Redistributing the premiums in this way is something only a politician could love.
Given that Medicare moved away from two standard premiums--$96.40 and $110.50--a couple of years ago for one standard of $104.90 (except for IRMAA), I'd be surprised--but only a little--if they moved back to a higher Part B premium for T65 than others. Lowering the IRMAA tiers would not surprise me at all. From each according to his ability...

----------

I'm far from an expert on this, but that's how I read it too. Instead of the $85K/$170K (top 2% and above) it goes to top 3%? 4%? However, with the exception of those T65's who are self employed and still working, most of my clients are paying IRMAA based on 2 years ago when Part B is processed, but then they appeal and almost always get it to $104. Based on my "micro-economy" I don't think that many people actually pay IRMAA. (I spend a LOT of time talking about IRMAA and the appeal process.) Rick is right on this. They pay more in taxes AND pay more for Part B. That's just wrong. Sad and wrong.
This is my experience, too. I bring the Social Security publication, Medicare Premiums for Higher Income Beneficiaries, to every meeting. And then I explain the life-changing event appeal process. Some are OK with paying the higher amount because it means they've done well. Others are irritated as hell at having paid more in taxes only to be rewarded by paying even more for their Medicare premiums.

Last edited:

Duals

Redistributing the premiums in this way is something only a politician could love.

Stooopid.

We are requiring those who wait on SS to pay more?

Or those unlucky enough to be born in 1951?

Stooopid.

We are requiring those who wait on SS to pay more?

Or those unlucky enough to be born in 1951?

At first I thought you were talking to me. Then I remembered I wasn't born in 51

Duals

How are Duals getting nailed ?

According to the article, the higher premium is passed on to duals but it doesn't matter since they don't pay their B premium. That is DC speak for "and this won't cost you a thing"

thats stupid,Many people in this group are people who did not know they can delay part B and are covered under group, this is going to force then to look closer at this and realize they should delay part B,

its better for the prospect but what does not make sense is they are throwing away premium with no claims attached.

I never seen any of these things truly aimed at protecting the consumer so that cant be the reason

Technically they aren't. But the tax payers in the states in which duals live will be getting nailed.

And rightfully so. It's selfish for those who earned the money to want to keep it. Those with their hands out are not selfish for wanting it.

Rick

Back