Medicare Part D - Harvoni

According to the CDC there are about 3.2 million people in the U.S. with Hep C.

The problem is the CDC numbers include anyone who has ever been diagnosed. Doesn't take people out who are "cured" and Harvoni is the last resort.

The problem is the CDC numbers include anyone who has ever been diagnosed. Doesn't take people out who are "cured" and Harvoni is the last resort.

This says 3.2 million people are living with chronic Hep C.

Hepatitis C

And this says:

"An estimated 3.2 million persons in the United States have chronic Hepatitis C virus infection."

CDC DVH - Hepatitis C FAQs for the Public

And yes, I realize Harvoni is a "last resort". But your question was how many people have Hep C. Not how many are in need of Harvoni.

You should read my mind better

I tried that. Pretty scary.

Just got off the phone.

No coverage other than A&B. Has not had coverage for years. Asymptomatic. Had hep C for 20+ years.

He is aware that he may not qualify for the drug due to the current state of his illness.

Not sure he wants to buy a Medigap plan at this time.

I'm wondering why this one (and its twin) didn't get orphan drug status. How many people have Hep C?

Good question - I'd love to know the figures on the number of people affected. The bulk of people who have it are baby boomers -- some say due to transfusions given, etc. - some at birth - back when they didn't screen for infected blood the way we do now. According to what I've read practices have changed to eliminate some of the causes that were preventable (at least in the medical environment).

In the article posted about the woman suing Anthem for not paying for her hep-c drug - she's a 42 year old. Wonder how she contracted the disease? About half of all diagnosed cases are attributed to drug use and sharing needles. The rest are from things like transplants and medical workers exposed to infected blood.

If insurance companies have to pay in all cases, even when someone isn't in "distress", this could be a very expensive proposition for the rest of us . . . .
That risk will simply be spread among all insured, as all things are . . .

My wife, who was a Medical Technologist prior to retirement, got exposed to Hep C in the lab where she worked over 30 years ago. Although she tested positive at the time, she has never had symptoms since.

You don't need clients with a serious illness who are that dumb. NEXT.

I once met with a under age 65 prospect who was losing EGHP so was eligible for a plan F for about 500.00 from AARP/UHC. He was on the heart transplant list at Mayo Clinic ( excess charges) which he indicated was going to take place soon and wanted me to enroll him in the UHC RPPO so he could pay 0 premium and use the OON benefits at Mayo .I strongly recommended the plan F even though i wasn't going too get paid for it.Even after pointing out he is not committed to keeping the coverage after his transplant and aftercare is complete he still refused it and he ended up signing up with another agent for the UHC RPPO .I did get a call from him a few months later about switching to the med supp after the bills started coming in but it was too late to switch.I hope the Mayo Clinic put this guy on the brain transplant list too.

In the OP case needing the Horvani if it's a matter of not being able to afford both and it's choice between paying for a med supp vs the part D he will definitely get more value out of the part D for the time being then the med supp since the part D will reduce a 92,000.00 drug bill to 7000.00

Back