Medicare Questions & Answers Thread . . .

He's asking 2 simple questions.

1. If he puts on a Marketing/Sales event on his own dime...can he represent more than one carrier at that event?

2. At the end of the Marketing/Sales event, can he take applications?

I haven't sold MA for 7 years, and never did an event of any kind, so I'm no expert. I'd think the answers would be 1.Yes and 2.No.

And I answered his 2 questions. Then he replied that one thing I mentioned was an educational event. In fact I was the only one who initially answered his question, thanks.

----------

I understand. Don't give up though. You can only control yourself and no one else.

Now, I did find this on one of Aetna/Coventry's CMS rules breakdown....

DO NOT compare Aetna or Coventry to another organization or plan by name without first obtaining written consent from all organizations or plans being compared; must provide this written consent to us for submission to CMS - MMG, Section 40.4

The way I read this is that you can talk about multiple companies. As usual you have to report the Marketing Event to each company being represented. One thing though, each company wants you to use their specific and approved marketing materials. Doing multiple companies may not be in your best interest anyway. I never found the 1st thing that stated you couldn't represent multiple companies at a Marketing Event, but it doesn't mean that I'm correct about it.

And I've found out that each company will say no, you're not allowed to

And I've found out that each company will say no, you're not allowed to

You're usually spot on with answers, so I'm going to go ahead and take your word for it since you've actually called the companies.

The one thing I was wondering about in that statement; are they trying to say that each carrier has to approve you incorporating another carrier into the Marketing Event? If that's the case, no wonder they would so no!

Chazm - thanks for the clarification. I'm going to get with the Area Rep after AEP to make sure that I do it right . . .

Todd - in your red below - is that in a pdf somewhere or in Producer's World?

I understand. Don't give up though. You can only control yourself and no one else.

Now, I did find this on one of Aetna/Coventry's CMS rules breakdown....

DO NOT compare Aetna or Coventry to another organization or plan by name without first obtaining written consent from all organizations or plans being compared; must provide this written consent to us for submission to CMS - MMG, Section 40.4

The way I read this is that you can talk about multiple companies. As usual you have to report the Marketing Event to each company being represented. One thing though, each company wants you to use their specific and approved marketing materials. Doing multiple companies may not be in your best interest anyway. I never found the 1st thing that stated you couldn't represent multiple companies at a Marketing Event, but it doesn't mean that I'm correct about it.

He said what I was referring to was an educational event. I was not referring to one because he should ask for contact info.
Then I realized he should make sure he doesn't try to do a ed event.

It seems the first option you were referring to ( in green below ) was an Educational Event. But - at one of them you can't ask for contact info or set appointments can you? I understood you couldn't even hand out business cards unless the attendee specifically and initially asked for it?

I appreciate your replies. I want to do it right from the start . . .

" If you are discussing MAPD, Your choices are to talk in general Medicare advantage terms. No plan specifics. Take appointments at the seminar to see them at a later date to talk plan specifics. "

You're usually spot on with answers, so I'm going to go ahead and take your word for it since you've actually called the companies.

The one thing I was wondering about in that statement; are they trying to say that each carrier has to approve you incorporating another carrier into the Marketing Event? If that's the case, no wonder they would so no!

I guess I should of put a note saying YMMV. I tried it years ago and it got shot down. So I ended up just showing one company in every seminar and for the people who wanted to see other plans, I just set an appt up.

edit: And you make a good point earlier. What are you going to do? Read SOB's from every single company from front to back? You will have the audiences attention for less than an hour....maybe an hour if you are lucky. When I was doing seminars I made sure I got it done in under an hour and that was presenting one company.

----------

It seems the first option you were referring to ( in green below ) was an Educational Event. But - at one of them you can't ask for contact info or set appointments can you? I understood you couldn't even hand out business cards unless the attendee specifically and initially asked for it?

I appreciate your replies. I want to do it right from the start . . .

" If you are discussing MAPD, Your choices are to talk in general Medicare advantage terms. No plan specifics. Take appointments at the seminar to see them at a later date to talk plan specifics. "

Correct, during a educational event you cant even promote your biz card. I was just making sure you don't do an educational event.

Last edited:
He's asking 2 simple questions.

1. If he puts on a Marketing/Sales event on his own dime...can he represent more than one carrier at that event?

2. At the end of the Marketing/Sales event, can he take applications?

I haven't sold MA for 7 years, and never did an event of any kind, so I'm no expert. I'd think the answers would be 1.Yes and 2.No.

Simple answers that are so basic it shouldn't even be asked:
1. NO, not without opening up a Pandora's box of potential compliance issues
2. Yes

It's basically impossible to pay for your own advertising, get enough people to attend, and then enroll enough to make it worth anyone's while with MAPD in this day and age anyway.

Simple answers that are so basic it shouldn't even be asked:
1. NO, not without opening up a Pandora's box of potential compliance issues
2. Yes

It's basically impossible to pay for your own advertising, get enough people to attend, and then enroll enough to make it worth anyone's while with MAPD in this day and age anyway.

So, I was 1/2 right(if somebody wanted to open a Pandora's box).:laugh:

I'll never need to know these answers. It just seemed like nobody was answering his questions the way he was asking, so I thought I'd try and clarify. I guess it takes a 132 IQ to understand a 132 IQ....:twitchy:

You wee correct in your initial answer and thanks . . .

I'm not sure I want to deal with Pandora's Box.

Talked to a Rep today that said they would co-op the marketing and provide some cool give aways, etc . . .

So, I was 1/2 right(if somebody wanted to open a Pandora's box).:laugh:

I'll never need to know these answers. It just seemed like nobody was answering his questions the way he was asking, so I thought I'd try and clarify. I guess it takes a 132 IQ to understand a 132 IQ....:twitchy:

If you plan to run informal(educational), or formal(sales) events, be prepared to be shopped by CMS. You better know your chit. Tim or Timmy, from reading your posts and questions, if you ran a sales event, and, you were shopped, CMS would hang you from the nearest tree.

Back