plans are going to pay independent agents $500-plus per year over five
years—$2,500 in total—for every new enrollee in their "Medicare Advantage"
plans.

The new totals are at least double the top commissions typically paid over the
last couple of years—a period when people with Medicare were regularly
victimized by predatory agents looking to make a quick buck. Older adults and
people with disabilities were bullied or tricked into Medicare private health
plans that no longer allowed them to see their doctors or that stuck them with
high out-of-pocket costs when they fell ill.

These new commissions are an attempt by some of the major plans to undermine
efforts by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to restrain commissions and in particular to eliminate
incentives for agents to "churn"—move customers from plan to plan just to earn
commissions. Many agents believe that these higher commissions actually increase
incentives to churn.

CMS should not allow Medicare Advantage plans to pay these commissions. The
agency has broad authority, under the Medicare Improvements for Patients and
Providers Act, to establish commission guidelines that create "incentives for
agents and brokers to enroll individuals in the Medicare Advantage plan that is
intended to best meet their health care needs."

There should be no incentive to move someone from one Medicare Advantage plan to
another just to earn a higher commission.

There should be no incentive to move someone from a Medigap supplemental plan to
a Medicare Advantage plan just to earn a higher commission.

With those twin goals in mind, CMS should establish a cap on commissions
consistent with existing requirements to pay level commissions over 5 years, starting with the 2009 plan
year. The cap should be set at a level that approximates current renewal rates
for Medicare Advantage enrollments made in 2007 and 2008. And it should
approximate Medigap renewal rates for a healthy 66-year-old, the low-cost
consumer that Medicare Advantage plans target for enrollment.

With those parameters, commissions would be capped at well under half the rates
Medicare Advantage plans are now proposing to pay.

Remember, Medicare Advantage plans are paying these commissions out of subsidies
they receive from taxpayers. It is outrageous that any of these subsidies, which
are supposed to pay for the health care of older adults and people with
disabilities, are diverted to pay commissions to enroll people with Medicare in
plans that cost taxpayers more money—$150 billion over the next ten
years—than it costs to provide care under Original Medicare.

Unfortunately, there is zero chance that the current administration will ban Medicare private health plans from paying
commissions, just as it has opposed any effort by Congress to reduce the
excessive subsidies these plans receive. For that, more comprehensive solution,
we will have to wait until after the election.

Medical Record

"As it is, there will be a frenzy to move all MA [enrollees] to a different
company since the renewals are way higher. If this stands it will make the
problem worse than ever before regarding churning. The incentive to churn in the
future has been increased because if you move someone from another company,
bam...$500. It appears to me that the companies may have kicked a sleeping dog
and the agents will be the ones to get bit. I can't imagine CMS letting this
stand." (Post on Insurance-Forums.net
(http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=gvLVLeMWLmK2LpI&s=ovJVJcP1JqIYJaP4F&m=kuI0LdONL
jK8H&af=y
), October 2008)

"A regulatory structure for commissions, together with minimum standards for MA
benefit packages, could align incentives so that producers are compensated more
for selling high-value plans and less for selling low-value plans," (Medicare
White Paper
(http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=9eJHITNuFfJPJ5K&s=ovJVJcP1JqIYJaP4F&m=kuI0LdONL
jK8H&af=y
), National Association of Insurance Commissioners, September 2008)

"My husband signed up with a private insurance company as a secondary plan and
Medicare as primary plan. In fact, we find that the private insurance company is
primary. My husband has recently been diagnosed with colon cancer that has
spread to his lymph nodes and into his liver. He has had surgery to remove half
of his colon and lymph nodes. The doctor has referred him to a cancer center
which we find is not in the network, in our area or elsewhere. We have called to
have it switched back to traditional Medicare which the center will accept but
are told we cannot switch till November which is 6 months from now. We have
explained to them that this cannot wait that long—that is half of the time he has been given and they have as much as told us they don't
care if he dies. We feel we have been lied to and now my husband can have no
treatment till November. This really isn't fair to him. (Story submitted to the
Private Health Plan Monitoring Project,
(http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=crKNI2OGLiIWKfJ&s=ovJVJcP1JqIYJaP4F&m=kuI0LdONL
jK8H&af=y
) May 2008)

I dont know what to say to that, seemed to be a very condemning article. But I must say that medicare Advantage, to the contrary, does supply a modern solution to unaffordable and uncomprehensive original medicare. What's this guys solution ?

I agree, AgentOrange. Where to begin. First off....don't shoot the messenger. This article assumes the worst. Frankly I feel deeply insulted by this. The worst thing CMS has done IMHO is make it difficult to place the right plan for the right situation with these unconstitutional rules of engagement. There is a ton of poorly placed business out there and it is very difficult to get into the homes to change it.

Lower the commissions to a certain point where none of us want to go after this type of business. Good idea. CMS should not allow marketing in store settings by captive agents. They should not allow internet sales or phone sales. If you use an independent agent with all the products available, and the commission is the same for all the companies the placement of the wrong product would be drastically cut down.

Gotta go as these days in the "senior season" start at 6 and end at midnight.

I dont know what to say to that, seemed to be a very condemning article. But I must say that medicare Advantage, to the contrary, does supply a modern solution to unaffordable and uncomprehensive original medicare. What's this guys solution ?

It's impossible to conjecture without knowing what his "private insurance" is. One would assume it is an MA plan from the description, but is it a PFFS? If so, he would be in pretty good shape, however it appears that it has a network, so perhaps it is an HMO or PPO. If a PPO, he would have out of network option, and the same with an HMO w/POS option. Worse case scenario is a HMO... and HMOs are notiously problematic, which is not a problem with all Medicare Advantage plans, just HMOs... and he more than likely made the choice over other available plans... perhaps he saved a few dollars in premium costs.

Unfortunately the agent that sold it to him did not polish his crystal ball. The problem with predictions is having to deal with the future!

You have to admit, ladies and gents, the reason why the "churn and burn" non-agents got into this was exactly for the reason they stated.

So, they don't speak a lie.

Now, that being said, it should not change how we conduct ourselves. If you buy leads, and telemarket for leads, then you will get someone who does not know you, and who will believe everything that is written bad about insurance agents.

If, on the other hand, you work primarily, if not exclusively, with referrals from current Medicare clients, family and associates, then the diminishes the effect an article such as this has on your business.

Listen. Attorneys, Realtors, Day Care Providers, all of them have had bad press in the past. The professionals among them have risen above it. That is what we must do.

In fact, use this as a tool, when you meet with someone. Show it to them, and let them know that that is not how you operate. Let them know that Seniors do get tricked, and that by meeting with you, it is your/their job to work together to find the plan that will satisfy them this coming year, and that there are two options for the year after that: 1. stay where they are, and 2. move to another plan.

My first sales job ever was with Southern Copy Machines, in Norcross, Ga. selling Canon copiers and fax machines. At the time, Canon did not have a small color copier, and Sharp and Fuji did. We were taught not to hide from that, but to bring that up in the beginning of the presentation. Let people know why we did not have one yet - we felt the technology at the time was not advanced enough to provide a good quality color unit in that range, and that we won't come out with one until then. If they had their heart set on one, then we will leave and let Fuji or Sharp have the sale.

Same thing here, folks. We can either complain about it, or use it to show our professionalism.

While I hate regulation, and realize that those who work for CMS are nothing more than egocentric, dim-witted, fairly literate, hour wage-earning, gnomes, you have to admit it. Our industry has taken advantage - no pun intended - of the Senior Market in the past, and this is their way of preventing it.

The pendulum will swing in the other direction. It has with Major Medical, Long Term Care, and it will with Medicare.

You have to remember, those who just want to push their agenda, will take a morsel of truth and embellish it to their liking. They won't do the research that they did to find bad press to find good press.

I stated before, and I'll state again. If it were up to me, the premiums would be "as earned" as it is with most other health-related products. That would get rid of the riff-raff, that are just out for a quick buck.

To me, that small amount each month is a gentle reminder to contact them and say, "thanks" or "is there anything else I can do for you" or "if you know of anyone who would like this, please have them call me"

(by the way, even before the CMS regulation, I always had the referral call me. that showed me they were interested, and I wasn't wasting my time)

Not here to kiss CMS's ass, but just wanted to institute some "tough love".

Bob nailed it.

Look up your auto insurance carrier and you will find bad stories about them.

The beauty of the internet is people have a place to express their opinions. The bad is that people have a place to express their opinions.

Back