Medicare Supplement Claim Issues

NBurton

Has anyone had recent issues with Client's claims being denied by Medicare?

I've had a few clients with recent claims that have been denied because the Carrier information has not been updated within Medicare to reflect their 2010 selections.

The clients were coming off MAPD's for 2009 and new to Supps for 2010

According to the Med Supp Carriers, everything shows well in their systems, but when their clients call or either go online to Medicare, their history is incorrect.

They have also received Medicare Summary Statement the also state Medicare is the Secondary Payor, but again I've been assured by the Carriers that their information has been forwarded to Medicare.

One Client's history was incorrect back to 2006.

Just wondering if anyone else has been receiving calls lately with similar issues

Thank You, Any input would be greatly appreciated

NBurton

Yep. Mostly if/when I pull someone off other primary such as retirement coverage or spouses coverages. Medicare gets "stuck" at times. You have to get the "benefits coordination" office on the phone. Totally different office than 1.800.medicare. I have the phone number in the office. Good folks at that office. They stay on top of a case until it is fixed. I've actually got followup calls from them.

If you don't get the number from 800.medicare by then I'll post is Monday.

United of Omaha was having some issues with crossover in January and February of this year, the claims weren't getting sent over. also when you pull someone of a MAPD and put them into a Med supp it can take 1 - 2 months for Medicare to get that updated.

Thank You both for your responses, your comments were very helpful... Seems as though Medicare has some internal communications issues.... Thanks again

Back