Medicare Supplement Discount for Couples

Catspan

I have never posted before but knew I could find the answer here after trying to search the internet. I was asked yesterday by a couple which companies offered any discount for both of them applying? I am only aware of one company doing this. Any help would be appreciated.
(This is for a Medicare Supplement Policy)
Also, she will not be 65 until 2 1/2 more years but he is turning 65 in 2 months so would the discount even apply with that kind of gap?

I believe American Pioneer gives a 5% discount if both husband and wife sign up at the same time.

In Missouri United of Omaha will give the person applying a 12% discount if there is another warm body living in the house. It isn't necessary that the "warm body" take a policy. Just living there and being able to fog a mirror entitles the applicant to a 12% discount.

The amount of discount will vary from state to state.

If you would like more specific information give me a call.

AARP has a 5% Discount when 2 people are under the same supplement policy and $2 a month discount per family for auto deduction.

Blue Shield of CA has a discount for couples, however they are rated at the oldest member. It works OK if both are close to the same age but if one is five or six or more years older, it does not pencil out. I don't write many Med Supps but I've not had anyone want to take this couple plan.

Also, BSCA has a 10% first year discount but you don't get it if you take the couple plan discount.

Rick B. can elaborate more on this as he is the expert in this (CA) market, not me.

IMO discounts are only important "if" that discount would make one company cheaper than another. So for a beneficiary or agent to seek out companies that offer discounts as a means of looking for the best deal could be and in most cases will be a wasted effort. By this time next year United of Omaha, even with the 12% will not be the cheapest in most cases. For most of last year and this year they have been. I just wrote a lady a Heartland National instead of United. Even with that 12% United would have gave her Heartland was cheaper for her. It's a case by case thing. That's why my rate sheets are 12 pages deep.

Blue Shield of CA has a discount for couples, however they are rated at the oldest member. It works OK if both are close to the same age but if one is five or six or more years older, it does not pencil out. I don't write many Med Supps but I've not had anyone want to take this couple plan.

Also, BSCA has a 10% first year discount but you don't get it if you take the couple plan discount.

Rick B. can elaborate more on this as he is the expert in this (CA) market, not me.

Blue Shield is only competitive for those turning 65 and up to age 69. After that, they suck.

Rick

I really appreciate all the information you gave me. Thank you for your help. This is all very new to me and the training I am getting is not good. I am interviewing with another company. I really want to be a success at this but need to get more confident. I have nightmares sometimes that I signed someone up in the wrong plan! Or that they are not going to be covered for something that I told them they would be. I know that will all get better with time and as I get more experienced.

I really appreciate all the information you gave me. Thank you for your help. This is all very new to me and the training I am getting is not good. I am interviewing with another company. I really want to be a success at this but need to get more confident. I have nightmares sometimes that I signed someone up in the wrong plan! Or that they are not going to be covered for something that I told them they would be. I know that will all get better with time and as I get more experienced.

Your nightmares are the result of poor training by people who really don't appear to give a damn whether or not you succeed.

Quality training is virtually nonexistent from insurance companies or agencies. It is only for that reason that I started offering training.

When you talk about interviewing with "another company" does that mean that you are going to be captive? If so, your road to success is going to be quite bumpy.

You sound like you are lost in the woods and are taking different paths to find your way out only to discover that you keep ending up even more lost than you were before.

The path is not a difficult one to follow once someone shows you the direction to go. If you would like to give me a call I can answer your questions and get you pointed down the right path.

Latest posts

Back