Medicare Supplement Enrollment

SWM

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Need some guidance from Med Supp gurus. I have a client who has a Golden Rule (UHC) Med Supp she purchased while on SS Disability. She turns 65 this December 2013. Our intent is to switch her to a Plan G in her 6 month window. Since she is already enrolled in Medicare A and B, when does the Med Supp become effective? As soon as purchased within the 6 month window, or at age 65?

Need some guidance from Med Supp gurus. I have a client who has a Golden Rule (UHC) Med Supp she purchased while on SS Disability. She turns 65 this December 2013. Our intent is to switch her to a Plan G in her 6 month window. Since she is already enrolled in Medicare A and B, when does the Med Supp become effective? As soon as purchased within the 6 month window, or at age 65?

1. Most companies will adjust the clients rates when they turn 65
2, if you are looking for the open enrollement guarantee issue. It would be probably December 1. (The month of her 65th birthday)
You can replace the supp anytime but will need to answer medical questions (at least with most) to qualify outside of the gi period

The 6 month Open Enrollment (for her, it's her 2nd Open Enrollment...first one was the 6 months following her enrollment in Medicare Part B) starts the month she turns 65. So, she could make it effective Dec. 1st at the earliest.

Thanks for the info. I assume she can still sign up for the plan 3 months before her birthday month with an effective date 12/1/13?

Thanks for the info. I assume she can still sign up for the plan 3 months before her birthday month with an effective date 12/1/13?

Yes, that is correct. But the Med Supp company will need proof of dis-enrollment from the MA before they can approve the Med Supp. You could show accepted enrollment in a stand alone PDP with a 12-1 effective date as the proof, in order to issue the med supp.

Yes, that is correct. But the Med Supp company will need proof of dis-enrollment from the MA before they can approve the Med Supp. You could show accepted enrollment in a stand alone PDP with a 12-1 effective date as the proof, in order to issue the med supp.

Actually it appears she currently has a med sup plan for under 65. Would certainly require a replacement form and the outline of coverage report. Would not have to answer medical questions

Actually it appears she currently has a med sup plan for under 65. Would certainly require a replacement form and the outline of coverage report. Would not have to answer medical questions

Ahh, you actually read the first post...that's cheating. :skeptical:

Back