Medicare Supplement GI Thread

midwestbroker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Columbia, MO
Rather than search all through the forums and internet collecting this data, I figure I would start a thread about state GI periods.

Please feel free to reply if your state has a GI period based on the client's birthday or anniversary date. I will update this top thread as answers or changes come in.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California - 30 Days after birthday
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas - NONE
Kentucky - NONE
Louisiana
Maine - GI at any time provided you move to plan of like or lessor value (no more than 90 break in coverage)
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan - NONE
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri - Annually on the Anniversary date of the supplement
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York - GI All year
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio - NONE
Oklahoma
Oregon - 30 days after birthday
Pennsylvania - NONE
Rhode Island
South Carolina - NONE
South Dakota
Tennessee - NONE
Texas - NONE
Utah - NONE
Vermont
Virginia - NONE
Washington - Washington, is odd, You can change medicare supplements at any time as long as you currently have coverage. You can also switch from MA to supp.
West Virginia
Wisconsin - Birthday
Wyoming

Last edited:
The only GI for Georgia are the mandated GI rules (i.e. - losing group coverage, trial right, MA carrier leaving service area, etc.). So I guess in regard to this particular thread, you can put NONE.

Washington, is odd, You can change medicare supplements at any time as long as you currently have coverage. You can also switch from MA to supp.

If you have no coverage besides medicare, and you're past O.E, and not dropping group. You have to pass underwriting.

With how supps are in WA, you could just put, Complicated/not worth explaining :D.

TX, TN, PA, VA all have no special GI periods, just the standard required by medicare.

TN, is unique with employer GI though, you have to involuntary lose it, you're not even allowed to drop cobra. Where as most states mandate it doesn't matter either way.

Last edited:
Maine allows for you to switch Medsups GI at any time provided you move to plan of like or lessor value...IE Plan F can go anywhere but Plan A can go no where... Must not have more than a 90 day break in coverage....

Company rules.- AARP/UHC can move to any medsup if you have an existing supplement as thier application does not ask for the existing plan type ie Plan F...

Anthem B/C last I looked was GI no health questions.

Ohio has no GI rules outside the federal ones.

Neither does Kentucky

Or West Virginia. However, WV only allows for a 30 day open enrollment period before a person turns 65.

Back