Medicare/Supplement/Medicaide

It's all good. It's hard to interpret on here. You can not read between the lines too much. That's the problem here. People read something and "see" something totally different.

Still. How is this possible? Sounds like she isn't in hospice actually.

I stopped selling LTCi 10 years ago, if you're still selling it...what about calling the company and seeing just what the coverage is? What about ROP, non-forfeiture values, waiver of premium, how long is the elimination period, etc.? You're right, there're too many unknowns to give any real advice.

Exactly. I sell LTC and that boggles me that they made her drop her LTC policy. That won't likely pay for hospice. Assisted Living, HHC and NHomes are not a related covered stay in relation to hospice. Most ltc policies do have elimination periods of 0-90 days. That would require her not being able to perform 2 of 6 ADL's. Hospice is for end of life care. Not custodial care. Somehow I think he is getting hospice and nursing home confused. Also don't complicate it and mix up nursing and skilled care. Apples and oranges here.

I can't see why anyone would suggest a LTC plan if someone is in hospice. Medicare pays virtually all hospice expenses and for other medical needs the OOP is likely covered by a supplement. Non hospice drugs are covered under Part D.

We have an amazing number of posts by people who are not qualified to give advice. Simply maintaining an insurance license doesn't mean someone knows what they're talking about.

Rick

Here's an interesting tidbit from CVS.gov about length of stays.

"Since 2006, the average LOS has begun to decline slightly, dropping to 71 days in 2009, which is a 48% increase from 1998. For the top twenty diagnoses in 2009, the average LOS ranged from 27 days for chronic kidney disease to 106 days for Alzheimer's disease and other degenerative conditions."

She has to do hospice in nursing home because she is on dialysis and the family is scared to take care of her at home with the situation of cancer and dialysis.

She has to do hospice in nursing home because she is on dialysis and the family is scared to take care of her at home with the situation of cancer and dialysis.

With the probable 90 days waiting period on the LTC keeping it is more than likely moot.

I do agree that cancelling the supplement that speeds up her getting on Medicaid. It might be money well saved.

Rick

Just found this on medicare.gov and it seems like medicare should pay according to this if hospice ordered the care.

Room and board. Medicare doesn't cover room and board if you get hospice care in your home or if you live in a nursing home or a hospice inpatient facility. If the hospice team determines that you need short-term inpatient or respite care services that they arrange, Medicare will cover your stay in the facility. You may have to pay a small copayment for the respite stay.

Back