Medicare Supplement Realistic Sales Goals?

steveb

Greetings,
I am a full time Final Expense agent (in Colorado) for 10 years but am switching to Medicare Supplements full time and FE as an occasional cross sell.

I am a one man show with a $300 week lead & mailing budget.

That said, what is a realistic sales goal as to number of Medicare Supplements sold in a year?
What is an average year in terms of the policy count for the average agent assuming 5 day work week.
What is a conservative yearly volume of Med. Supp. policies to shoot for?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Greetings,
I am a full time Final Expense agent (in Colorado) for 10 years but am switching to Medicare Supplements full time and FE as an occasional cross sell.

That said, what is a realistic sales goal as to number of Medicare Supplements sold in a year?
What is an average year in terms of the policy count for the average agent assuming 5 day work week.

Thanks

I try to do a minimum of 12 a month. That's an easy goal if you put some effort into it and actually work 5 days a week. I do not. That's 144 policies a year and a little over $200,000 in premium which is $40k in commission. That's IN avg prem and commission though.

I'm just telling you, you can do it but I don't know of any mail house that will do a drop for$300 week. You can expect 415-475 per thousand but call them up and if that is your budget ask them how they can work with you. Maybe the first two months you pay them the full 1200 and, I am telling you, if you work the leads you will make sales, and then bump up your budget to 425. Tell the mailhouse you want a copy of the mail list and when you are working your leads go and door knock the list.

Chris Westphall has a video somewhere on here of an agent who all he does is door knock, leads with med supp, and cross sells final expense, and that guy does very well. Good luck my friend.

Greetings,

Thanks

If I wanted to stick to $300 per week lead cost selling Med Sups (you need to increase that amount) I would do the Monumental FE drops, door-knock the leads and do a fact-finder for FE and Med Sup both. The amount of leads you get per week would keep you busy 2-days at most. The other 3-days, cold door to door.

Whatever you focus on is what you will sell. It doesn't matter if the lead came from an FE mailer or a Med Sup mailer, you will sell either one or both from it.

Greetings,

Thanks

The Medicare side is something you go into knowing you aren't going to be making $100K in the first year. But with renewals and levelized commissions, it adds up.
I think it's smart that you say your goals in terms of policy count and volume, as opposed to commission.
My goal tends to be a MINIMUMof 3 applications a week. 3 a week is realistic and easy to get to if you are truly working 5 days a week. The key is to avoid the temptation to be lazy. Many of us get lazy once we start the week pretty strong.

If I wanted to stick to $300 per week lead cost selling Med Sups (you need to increase that amount) I would do the Monumental FE drops, door-knock the leads and do a fact-finder for FE and Med Sup both. The amount of leads you get per week would keep you busy 2-days at most. The other 3-days, cold door to door.

Whatever you focus on is what you will sell. It doesn't matter if the lead came from an FE mailer or a Med Sup mailer, you will sell either one or both from it.

He would get a lot more mailers back mailing for med supps compared to FE.

Yeah, Lead Connection would do a 500 piece mailer and he shouldbe able to pull in at least 3%.
That works on a $300 lead budget and should provide enough weekly leads for Med Supps.

Don't lie to the Gentleman 3% is not gonna happen. Maybe if he is mailing to the hood but how many med supps will he write there?

tins, your 3% is your average return? That's awesome. Would you mind sharing how long you've tracked your return and how many pieces do you mail per month?

I haven't done a mail drop yet and I'm figuring out my budget for mail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't lie to the Gentleman 3% is not gonna happen. Maybe if he is mailing to the hood but how many med supps will he write there?

Arggrrhhh! I was all pumped up for 3%! What is more realistic? 1%? 2%? Or is it too complicated with many factors that determine return?

Last edited:
Back