Medicare Supplement Underwriting ?

candy81286

Hi all- I am submitting my first Med Supp application that is not GI. They have high blood pressure and cholesterol- both treated with medication. They have not been hospitalized and answer no to all the health questions. Would the high blood pressure be an issue or should that be ok? Thanks in advance! (submitting with Blue Shield)

Hi all- I am submitting my first Med Supp application that is not GI. They have high blood pressure and cholesterol- both treated with medication. They have not been hospitalized and answer no to all the health questions. Would the high blood pressure be an issue or should that be ok? Thanks in advance! (submitting with Blue Shield)

The HBP would only be a problem if not under control.

52 is correct. It's a good idea to review medical questions on the application and the underwriting guide to familiarize yourself with what is acceptable, what isn't.

Most carriers look for the really big stuff- Heart trouble, cancer, stroke, multiple hospitalizations, etc. Your normal aging- cholesterol, blood pressure, acid reflux, even minor depression is not going to be a red flag with most carriers.
Most carriers ask very similar questions, but some are harder on specific diseases- like diabetes, than others. Grab a few applications and compare them. After a while you'll see who is more flexible than others. . .

One piece of advice is to ask for an explanation when you do get a decline. A couple of weeks ago I had a decline on an applicant who had prostate cancer about eight years prior. The cancer itself was not a problem, because it has been so long ago. It was declined because they did not have a PSA blood test within the last 30 days. I contacted the client, who happened to have the results of a PSA blood test within the last 30 days, which I submitted to the carrier. The case has moved from declined to under reconsideration. It looks like it's going to get issued. If I had not inquired as to the reason for the decline, I never would've known how easy it would have been to get it reversed, if that ends up being the result.

I've only appealed one other declined case in the past, but it did get reversed.

One piece of advice is to ask for an explanation when you do get a decline. A couple of weeks ago I had a decline on an applicant who had prostate cancer about eight years prior. The cancer itself was not a problem, because it has been so long ago. It was declined because they did not have a PSA blood test within the last 30 days. I contacted the client, who happened to have the results of a PSA blood test within the last 30 days, which I submitted to the carrier. The case has moved from declined to under reconsideration. It looks like it's going to get issued. If I had not inquired as to the reason for the decline, I never would've known how easy it would have been to get it reversed, if that ends up being the result.

I've only appealed one other declined case in the past, but it did get reversed.
I have never had that come up. Does he still have prostate cancer? Did this case happen to be with Cigna?

I have never had that come up. Does he still have prostate cancer? Did this case happen to be with Cigna?
He has had no treatment for prostate cancer in more than seven years. This case happen to be with Aetna. And, I was informed that he did get approved today. So, in some cases when an application is declined, it's worth digging a little deeper on that.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought they couldn't tell you the reason for decline because of HIPAA?

I thought they couldn't tell you the reason for decline because of HIPA

There is a HIPAA disclosure baked into the app that includes sharing info with the agent. Don't know I have ever been denied underwriting info on a Medigap app.

Latest posts

Back