Medicare Supplement Vs Medicare Advantage

There is some great advice on this thread!

I put together a pros and cons list for agents to consider as we would get this question a lot.

See attached.

Attachments

• SMS Medicare Supplements VS MA.pdf
    478.3 KB · Views: 88
The impression that I have had from reading threads is that there is Government testing and certification required to sell both PDP's and MA plans that is not required to sell MedSups; which leads to some folks preferring to sell only MedSups because they are less likely to be affected by a costly nitpicky mistake. But I don't see that mentioned in the thread, so maybe I'm wrong?

----------

Great link Glen, thanks.

OP...I live in Dallas. We are at 35% MA penetration, which is apparently on the high end. Currently (and for 15 years) I only sell Medicare Supplement. And I have no problem making sales.

Area plays a huge role. Not just state, but county, too. Also, where are you going to get your leads from? That will also make a difference.

And the answer to "what happens if they want MAPD", I show them how to do it. I think have 10 clients right now that I "help" with there MAPD. Most are U65 and can't afford Plan A at $342/month. Then when they turn 65, I get their Med Supp business.

Yes, but...
A) You are a skillfully aggressive agent
and
B) The total eligible population of Dallas (and Tarrant) county (counties) gives you a very large population base-even at 35-45 percent MA saturation.

People turning 65 get 1000000000 things in the mail--its a losing battle

EVERY agent has a different way to do this--you need to stumble around and find the way that suits YOU

I have clients on supplements AND MAPD. Its a risk tolerance/cash flow decision--their decision let them make it

And if you have Final Expense and Dental and etc they won't be calling other agents. Be their one stop

People turning 65 get 1000000000 things in the mail--its a losing battle

Losing battle for who? I guess it's a losing battle for the losers, the ones who can't set the appt. I can't tell you how many appts I set after the person tells me they have had tons of calls already.

Losing battle for who? I guess it's a losing battle for the losers, the ones who can't set the appt. I can't tell you how many appts I set after the person tells me they have had tons of calls already.

Its a losing battle for me...and I'm not a loser ;)

I don't make outbound calls either, though. People call me. There isn't just one way to succeed.

Insulting narcissists are fewer here than they used to be-but still around

And they waste time with silly, unrealistic, self serving comments that have no basis in reality.

THANKS for a post that brings nothing to the table and costs me 45 seconds I cant get back.

Spare me your brilliance in the future wont you? Share your genius with those that deserve it!

----------

Its a losing battle for me...and I'm not a loser ;)

I don't make outbound calls either, though. People call me. There isn't just one way to succeed.

You're a loser if you don't kiss Narcissus' backside. Gods sake.

I think the key to success with MAs, MAPDs and PDPs is to be appointed with nearly every carrier possible in your target area. Lots of agents are intimidated with the certifications/recertifications required. I just tell my wife, every July, that I will be unavailable for about three days whilst I do my AHIP and recertifications for about ten or so different carriers.

Then when you meet with people you can be confident of giving them the most optimum plan available for their situations.

It is also helpful to save every single plan's SOB, EOC, formulary, etc. as PDFs on your laptop so you can quickly pull 'em up in someone's living room, whether internet access is available or not. I spend about a day every September or early October downloading all that data. Comes in really handy when people start asking which SNP offers the most OTC stuff, etc.

Insulting narcissists are fewer here than they used to be-but still around

And they waste time with silly, unrealistic, self serving comments that have no basis in reality.

THANKS for a post that brings nothing to the table and costs me 45 seconds I cant get back.

Spare me your brilliance in the future wont you? Share your genius with those that deserve it!

----------

You're a loser if you don't kiss Narcissus' backside. Gods sake.

Does someone need a hug?

Back