Medicare Supplements going independent suggestions

The problem I have with Avatars, they only want to pay using Bitcoin with a pay date on the 32nd of the month. My carrier will only go out to the 31st of the month. Any suggestions here?

You need a new 2017 Avatar calandar. Buy 2 of them and send one to the carrier. I'm pretty sure you can pick that up through Avatars-R-Us.Con ;)

You need a new 2017 Avatar calandar. Buy 2 of them and send one to the carrier. I'm pretty sure you can pick that up through Avatars-R-Us.Con ;)

I will try that, hope they don't use that 30 day Old Testament calendar. Another issue I have calling Avatars to set appointments, they are not answering the phone like they used to, think it might be my 918 area code? I have heard using a phone number with a Philippine area code works much better. Have you tried that?

I will try that, hope they don't use that 30 day Old Testament calendar. Another issue I have calling Avatars to set appointments, they are not answering the phone like they used to, think it might be my 918 area code? I have heard using a phone number with a Philippine area code works much better. Have you tried that?

I'm thinking the North Korean area code would work like a charm! But overall, I think the Germany area code works better. They have ways of making you answer the phone!

I have no experience so have a lot to learn. I bougt your book and love it! I do use it as a guide

Glen’s book is great summary of what you can learn digging through this forum. You could have gotten it for free trial subbing to Kindle unlimited.

I agree with the overall sentiment. Find out what you want to market.

If it’s Medicare, you should go to CMS.gov and look up MA Penetration rates. Anything over mid 20’s, you’re may want to consider getting AHIP certified for MA, but it’s up to you.

Then, go to CSG Actuarial and free trial your state/area. Run a quote and run Market Analytics to see who the major players are in your state. Look at the carriers that are on the least expensive side. Usually, you’re competing against BSBC and AARP/UHC.

Run quotes for 65-77, m/f, smoker/non smoker in 5 year intervals. You’ll see mostly the same players on the lower end.

Do research on rating increases and financial strength for lowest 5 carriers. You should be able to narrow down to 2-3 carriers to start.

Figure out your marketing plan. That’s legit going to drive a lot of what you do. Personally, I believe in mastering one lead type before moving to adding a second.

For example, I’m a content marketer. Primarily creating content for my website is where I spend my time. While I do trickles of Youtube content, it’s used to enhance my website content, not a developed plan atm.

After you have your product and marketing plan on point, reach out to a few FMO’s. Don’t sign with the first person.

Ultimately, plan... research.. plan again.

Using data to drive decisions vs just doing what everyone else does. It’ll save you money and time in the long term.

Also, don’t be afraid to try (In very cost controlled quantities) things people say won’t work. There’s nothing wrong with trying things, just don’t invest enough to break you without proof of concept.

Diversity in marketing in great, but don’t try to do everything you can at first. This whole process can be a bit overwhelming.

Good overall suggestion, but I tell folks rate increase history doesn't matter. Here is why.

I basically agree. I’m more concerned on how often they’re doing rate increases vs the amount. I, personally, think combating the rate increase question is a great opportunity to show added value. I’ll preface this by saying I wouldn’t personally bring up rate increase info. It’s too complex and arbitrary (as you note):

Lead: Company X has had a 5% rate increase annually for the last 5 years.

Me: I understand that you’re concerned about rate increases. I can imagine it’s frustrating to see your premium going up 1-2 x a year. However, I’d be more concerned on how much you’re paying compared to the market vs the rate increase percentage. I subscribe to a service that lets me see all the rates for all the companies in the state of MI. When I get a notice of a rate increase, I take a look to make sure your rate is still on the lower end of average. If it is, I’ll shoot you an email letting you know I looked it up and you’re good. If it’s not, I’ll give you a call and offer a recommendation and let you decide. How do you feel about that?

I basically agree. I’m more concerned on how often they’re doing rate increases vs the amount. I, personally, think combating the rate increase question is a great opportunity to show added value. I’ll preface this by saying I wouldn’t personally bring up rate increase info. It’s too complex and arbitrary (as you note):

Lead: Company X has had a 5% rate increase annually for the last 5 years.

Me: I understand that you’re concerned about rate increases. I can imagine it’s frustrating to see your premium going up 1-2 x a year. However, I’d be more concerned on how much you’re paying compared to the market vs the rate increase percentage. I subscribe to a service that lets me see all the rates for all the companies in the state of MI. When I get a notice of a rate increase, I take a look to make sure your rate is still on the lower end of average. If it is, I’ll shoot you an email letting you know I looked it up and you’re good. If it’s not, I’ll give you a call and offer a recommendation and let you decide. How do you feel about that?
I'm more concerned with the amount of the increases because with Med Supps, most of the time, they're raising their rates EVERY year. The only time I can think of where they didn't was if the carrier was new to the market and they held off raising the rates after their 1st year to give them a competitive advantage. They usully make up for it in year 3.

I always tell people that their rates will go up every year, and if another agent ever tells them otherwise.....then he's either brand new and doesn't know what he's talking about or he's be lying to you. :yes:

Back