Medigap Open Enrollment - 1 Time Only....

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
I'm 99% sure I'm correct - just looking for some verification. I called a carrier but I think I was given wrong info... :skeptical:

A couple is enrolled in an Employer Plan. Both turned 65 in July 2013 and enrolled in Both Part B and a Part D PDP. Their employer plan is paying first as primary payer w/ B paying secondary. Part D isn't doing anything for their Rx's (according to them), as employer plan is covering Rx's...

Coverage is creditable.

Even if they drop Part B since they don't "need" it and then re-enroll in Part B once he retires in 2015 - they (a) won't be able to get back their Medigap Open Enrollment and they (b) will not qualify for any GI situation (b/c employer is primary).

2013 Choosing a Medigap book pg. 16 - "Your Medigap open enrollment period begins when you enroll in Part B and can't be changed or repeated."

i.e. if they want a Med Supp w/o health questions - they need to do it now.

Am I right or am I just not looking at all of the options?

Last edited:
Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

#2: You have Original Medicare and an employer group health plan (including retiree or COBRA coverage) or union coverage that pays after Medicare pays and that plan is ending.

Note: In this situation, you may have additional rights under state law.
Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.

If you have COBRA coverage, you can either buy a Medigap policy right away or wait until the COBRA coverage ends.
No later than 63 calendar days after the latest of these 3 dates:
Date the coverage ends
Date on the notice you get telling you that coverage is ending (if you get one)
Date on a claim denial, if this is the only way you know that your coverage ended

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

#2: You have Original Medicare and an employer group health plan (including retiree or COBRA coverage) or union coverage that pays after Medicare pays and that plan is ending.

Note: In this situation, you may have additional rights under state law.
Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.

If you have COBRA coverage, you can either buy a Medigap policy right away or wait until the COBRA coverage ends.
No later than 63 calendar days after the latest of these 3 dates:
Date the coverage ends
Date on the notice you get telling you that coverage is ending (if you get one)
Date on a claim denial, if this is the only way you know that your coverage ended

Which is what I thought originally, but since his employer is primary payer and pays 1st, not 2nd, then this doesn't seem like it would apply.

If the employer has 20+ employees they are always primary.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02179.pdf

viewer

Which is what I thought originally, but since his employer is primary payer and pays 1st, not 2nd, then this doesn't seem like it would apply.

So they have a Grp Med Supp plan, correct? As opposed to being on Maj Med COBRA covg following employment...?
In OH voluntarily leaving a Grp health plan will trigger a GI enrollment into Med Supp as outlined in info Somarco posted.

Back