Monday, January 5th Wal-Mart Conversation

Joe Moore

Guru
100+ Post Club
A Lady passes by my booth working at Wal-Mart, glances at me, reads all the signs, I say "Good Morning", she ignores me.

About 5 minutes later she reappears, saying "The people at the drug counter say you can explain this Part-D stuff, can you explain it to somebody that does not know ANYTHING about this stuff?"

Me: I hope so, what do you have now as far as health and drug coverage?
Her: Well, I have Medicare and Railroad Coverage.
Me: What is your age?
Her: I am 66. I have been to the Senior Citizen's Center, they sent me to CVS to see what plan was best for me, they told me one thing. I went to Social Security and they told me another thing. I am so confused, can you help me?
Me: I will try. Have you ever had a Part-D Drug Plan?
Her: No, with Railroad Insurance I don't need it.
Me: Well, I'm not sure what you are thinking is correct and I'm not sure they are right in what they are telling you.
Her: The girl at CVS told me all I needed was a Part-D Drug Plan, I don't think I even need that, Railroad will pay it all and I don't have anything to pay.
Me: And what did Social Security tell you?
Her: That I probably did not need anything except Medicare, since Railroad Insurance was covering everything Medicare did not pay.
Me: Well, I'm thinking they both could be mistaken.
Her: What am I paying the $86/month for?
Me: Do you mean the $96.40/month for Part B of Medicare?
Her: No, the $96.40 goes to the Railroad to pay all my copays at doctors and drugs. What I am talking about is the $86 I am paying to Cxxxxxn for what they say is a Medicare Advantage & Part-D Drug Plan. I don't need it.
Me: Well, thank goodness you do have a plan in place, because if you didn't you could not change to anything. Do you want me to explain your options to you?
Her: I sure do, are you sure you know what you are talking about.
Me: I hope so, this is our 4th year of working with these plans, and we should know a little something about them. It is not my requirement, but I need you to sign this form that is required by the Federal Government, so I can explain your options to you. (I read the SOA to her and pointed out that she was not committing to anything).
Her: They did not want me to sign anything at the Senior Citizen's Center, CVS or Social Security. Why should I sign anything for you? Are you thinking you are smarter than they are?
Me: No, I don't think I am smarter than they are. But I am required to get this form signed before I can explain what is available to you.
Her: Why just you? They didn't require me to sign anything.
Me: Because I am certified by this plan to offer these plans to the public and people needing help just like you. And the Federal Government and the Plan requires me to get this form signed before I can present this plan to you.
Her: You are required to get this signed, and they are not? They offered it to me, just like you are wanting me to sign up for your plan. And you are wanting me to sign that stupid form before you can explain it to me? FORGET IT! This is stupid! I'm not being tricked into signing anything! No telling what I am signing!

I never got her name.

She gets up, walks away past the customer service area, past the apples, into the tomaters and I have probably made an enemy for life. Just not sure if it was my fault.

Joe, I feel for you.....I've had my own horrendous experiences this AEP/OEP, I'm sure we all have. Both of your posts, Wal Mart Conversation and Lucinda, Luchesha....had me in tears. I don't think I've laughed so hard, mainly because I can relate and mainly because it's so sad.

I sent out a letter to some of my MAPD clients to let them know of the higher copays and premiums with a particular insurance company for 2009. I let them know of a Medicare supplement with the same company - I make no money on this plan by recommending it, I can't even write it....the next thing I know there are investigators from that insurance company coming to some of their homes, unannounced, wanting to see the letter I sent out....they're scaring my clients, not too mention me. I've been doing this for 20 years. I've never had a complaint or problem in 20 years. This has gotten completely ridiculous! I met with the investigator who went to my clients homes. I asked him, why are you doing this, and he said their were complaints. I said there were no complaints from the clients that called me and told me you just showed up at their home...I said, oh, I understand, it's complaints from the insurance company and he basically agreed. I called the insurance bureau and reported them. I also called Medicare and they said they don't take complaints from agents, only Medicare clients. ????? The investigator said he has to file his report to the insurance company. I haven't heard anything from anyone. crickets

Try and work under these conditions.

The investigator said he has to file his report to the insurance company. I haven't heard anything from anyone. crickets

Try and work under these conditions.

You may be the next subject of your grand jury's next meeting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sorry for laughing, but you should have broke out the annuity application................

Yeah, let me try to explain the "48 hour rule" to this one.
Isn't it wonderful how our government protects seniors!

I've got it figured out. When it comes to recommending these plans, insurance agents credibility comes in a little bit below the mail carrier but still slightly above the garbage man.
the next thing I know there are investigators from that insurance company coming to some of their homes, unannounced, wanting to see the letter I sent out....they're scaring my clients, not too mention me. I've been doing this for 20 years.

You mean they did not even get a Scope Of Authority Form signed? This has got to be a violation.

Last edited:
Joe, when she said "Her: They did not want me to sign anything at the Senior Citizen's Center, CVS or Social Security. Why should I sign anything for you? Are you thinking you are smarter than they are?"

Wouldn't it have been correct to also say:
"Because I am a licensed agent for the plans and have been trained and tested by a government structured program to ensure that I KNOW the correct answers and MUST comply with the correct proceedures when dealing with the public. I am a professional who is paid to give you the correct information and sign you up with the best plan. The fact that your other sources don't need your signature indicates that they are not in this position. What they had with you was more of an informal conversation. If they give you wrong information...no one cares. If I give you wrong information, CMS which is the government entity will definitely care and take action to correct me."

You might want to chop that down a few words though.

Last edited:
I think I see your problem.

It is not CMS, Coventry or even Wally World.

You need to get out of Morristown and do it now.

Dandridge might be a better choice . . .

Joe, when she said "Her: They did not want me to sign anything at the Senior Citizen's Center, CVS or Social Security. Why should I sign anything for you? Are you thinking you are smarter than they are?"

Wouldn't it have been correct to also say:
"Because I am a licensed agent for the plans and have been trained and tested by a government structured program to ensure that I KNOW the correct answers and MUST comply with the correct proceedures when dealing with the public. I am a professional who is paid to give you the correct information and sign you up with the best plan. The fact that your other sources don't need your signature indicates that they are not in this position. What they had with you was more of an informal conversation. If they give you wrong information...no one cares. If I give you wrong information, CMS which is the government entity will definitely care and take action to correct me."

You might want to chop that down a few words though.

And she would have said, "DO WHAT?"

Back