Mutual of Omaha - Extended FMO restriction - legal?

e-medigap

This is my first post in the forum and I need some help. It sounds like this is similar to the Parker issue but with a twist.

I've been involved in the health insurance market in Texas for the past couple of years and finally gained the marketing knowledge and resources to make a run at selling a good amount of medicare supplements via phone.

About 2 months ago I began to speak with a top line marketing agency (FMO) with Mutual of Omaha in my hometown of Austin. Mutual was about to release their United of Omaha offering in Texas and the FMO asked me if I had sold any Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplements in the past 12 months. I hadn't so they said it shouldn't be a problem to contract with them. Here's the issue ...

* Last time I sold a Mutual of Omaha product was about 18 months ago as a special agent through Medicare Supplement Insurance Services (MSIS) which is a mid-level marketer under Agent Distribution Center (ADC).

* The new FMO (Precision Senior Marketing (PSM)) I have been speaking with here in Austin just became an FMO about 5 weeks ago

* I completed the appointment paperwork to receive a new Mutual of Omaha producer # through PSM and about a week later went ahead and started selling the new United of Omaha product with the assumption there were no issues and my licensing would be completed before the applications started coming back.

* I received several United of Omaha applications back this past weekend and checked in with Mutual of Omaha to get my new producer ID. They told me I needed a release from my former FMO.

* After checking into it further I found out that because of the introduction of the new United of Omaha product in Texas that they granted the FMOs an additional 90 days after product launch to keep agents - even if the agent hadn't sold in the past 12 months.

* My issue is that Mutual of Omaha is basically telling me that there is no way I could have known about the additional 90 days. They neither asked nor informed the individual agents of this additional 90 days. They did not tell MSIS who had my special agent contract because they are a mid-level marketer. They acknowlegded that the new FMO Precision Senior Marketing was probably not informed because they're so new.

So, now I am required to get a release from MSIS and ADC. MSIS is fine with it but everyone is telling me that ADC never releases agents - including my rep at ADC and the guys at PSM. I have clients' applications sitting on my desk and I'm feeling really bad about not forwarding them on yet for processing/underwriting.

Because no one I was involved with knew about this 90-day extension and I have new business written under the assumption I was getting a new writing number I am basically being told I am stuck with ADC? I don't necessarily have anything against ADC but don't even know them and would rather work with someone in my hometown.

I thought a contract was a legal agreement and any changes to the agreement had to be expressed or agreed upon prior to the change taking place.

Is this legal? Is this binding? Do I have any recourse? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Go to the upper management of ADC and plead your unique case as you have here. I had a similar situation 6 years ago and Mutual will do what ever the FMO tells them.

What are you going to do with your applications? It's never a good idea to hold them.

Good luck and let us know your outcome.

Check your original agreement with the "former" FMO. Release time is usually stipulated. There is no such thing as a lifetime hold. Secondly, ask your "new" FMO to assist, after all, the business is going to the same carrier, i.e. MutofOmaha.

Become a subagent with a zero commission agreement, i.e. they cut you the check as opposed to getting paid directly by MofO. This is temporary, of course, but it does get those apps issued. Either forget about MofO, keep pushing for your release, alert and encourage your old buddies at the recalcitrant tyrant that is your "former" FMO to raise the issue.

Hang in there, After all, even the Iron Curtail fell.

Go to the FMO thread here can we make a sticky of fmo's? - Insurance Agent Forum and let everyone hear about this jerk of an MFO (the "O" is "Orifice" I'll let you figure out the "M" and "F").

Check your original agreement with the "former" FMO. Release time is usually stipulated.

I don't recall seeing any agreement I have signed that had anything to say about releases. That's the main problem with this crap - we don't agree to it and are never told about it.

GET A PRE-NUPTIAL!

Rick

How come as a 1099 we have to ask permission to start a new contract with a different partner, we are not employees for a reason!

MSIS would not release me. I went to the next upline and they changed my contract to a higher commission. I get no support from MSIS. Under the old contract they sent me leads. Now I never hear from them except I do still get commissions from them for the business I wrote in the early days.

Omaha Insurance , United World, pay me directly bank deposit.

This is my first post in the forum and I need some help. It sounds like this is similar to the Parker issue but with a twist.

I've been involved in the health insurance market in Texas for the past couple of years and finally gained the marketing knowledge and resources to make a run at selling a good amount of medicare supplements via phone.

About 2 months ago I began to speak with a top line marketing agency (FMO) with Mutual of Omaha in my hometown of Austin. Mutual was about to release their United of Omaha offering in Texas and the FMO asked me if I had sold any Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplements in the past 12 months. I hadn't so they said it shouldn't be a problem to contract with them. Here's the issue ...

* Last time I sold a Mutual of Omaha product was about 18 months ago as a special agent through Medicare Supplement Insurance Services (MSIS) which is a mid-level marketer under Agent Distribution Center (ADC).

* The new FMO (Precision Senior Marketing (PSM)) I have been speaking with here in Austin just became an FMO about 5 weeks ago

* I completed the appointment paperwork to receive a new Mutual of Omaha producer # through PSM and about a week later went ahead and started selling the new United of Omaha product with the assumption there were no issues and my licensing would be completed before the applications started coming back.

* I received several United of Omaha applications back this past weekend and checked in with Mutual of Omaha to get my new producer ID. They told me I needed a release from my former FMO.

* After checking into it further I found out that because of the introduction of the new United of Omaha product in Texas that they granted the FMOs an additional 90 days after product launch to keep agents - even if the agent hadn't sold in the past 12 months.

* My issue is that Mutual of Omaha is basically telling me that there is no way I could have known about the additional 90 days. They neither asked nor informed the individual agents of this additional 90 days. They did not tell MSIS who had my special agent contract because they are a mid-level marketer. They acknowlegded that the new FMO Precision Senior Marketing was probably not informed because they're so new.

So, now I am required to get a release from MSIS and ADC. MSIS is fine with it but everyone is telling me that ADC never releases agents - including my rep at ADC and the guys at PSM. I have clients' applications sitting on my desk and I'm feeling really bad about not forwarding them on yet for processing/underwriting.

Because no one I was involved with knew about this 90-day extension and I have new business written under the assumption I was getting a new writing number I am basically being told I am stuck with ADC? I don't necessarily have anything against ADC but don't even know them and would rather work with someone in my hometown.

I thought a contract was a legal agreement and any changes to the agreement had to be expressed or agreed upon prior to the change taking place.

Is this legal? Is this binding? Do I have any recourse? Any thoughts or recommendations?

MSIS is useless. is your reference to ADC-- Amerilife? (not sure - they keep changing their name . . . ) If so, they do not release anyone - I tried for a long time & gave up. If you were truly dormant, then MOO should be ok switching you over, but you should never hold applications. . . .

MSIS is useless. is your reference to ADC-- Amerilife? (not sure - they keep changing their name . . . ) If so, they do not release anyone - I tried for a long time & gave up. If you were truly dormant, then MOO should be ok switching you over, but you should never hold applications. . . .

That original post was over 7 years ago and it appears to be his only post. Not sure he'll get back to see your advice. For what it's worth, I believe MSIS is these folks:

http://www.msis.us/default.html

From what I understand, if you use their lead program you have to assign commissions and also take a reduced commission. That's all I need to know I want nothing to do with them.

That original post was over 7 years ago and it appears to be his only post. Not sure he'll get back to see your advice. For what it's worth, I believe MSIS is these folks:

http://www.msis.us/default.html

From what I understand, if you use their lead program you have to assign commissions and also take a reduced commission. That's all I need to know I want nothing to do with them.

You are correct. Charles Judah is the man at MSIS. :err::err::err:

I cannot recommend them.

Back