Need Advice on Part C Election Period

Ronnie Carter

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've searched around and have not found a definitive answer to this.

Client got Part A about a year ago and elected not to enroll in Part B due to the fact that she was still working at age 65 and was covered by a great employer plan.

Her employer plan ended 12/31/13 and she enrolled in Part B some time in 2/14, during her eight-month SEP. It became effective 3/1/14. However, for some reason, she did not choose to enroll in any Part C or D plan, or a Med supp, for that matter.

I would think that her SEP for losing employer coverage ended 2/28/14. She has called me desperately wanting to enroll in a BCBS MAPD, to be effective 7/1/14. She believes she has an initial enrollment period of three months before to three months after the month she got her Part B, which would end 6/30/14, i.e., next Monday night. She has talked to Medicare about this several times, and most of the time they tell her she has an SEP that ends 6/30/14. (Note they are not saying ICEP or IEP.)

My thought initially was that she blew her employer coverage SEP by not enrolling by 2/28/14. (She could still get a Med supp, since she has an open enrollment for six months after getting Part B, even if subsequent to getting Part A, but she cannot afford the premium. She needs a zero-premium MAPD.)

I have gone through the last several years believing that if a beneficiary gets Part A and some time goes by, and there is no other SEP in place, such as leaving employer coverage, the act of enrolling in Part B in itself does not generate an SEP, ICEP, or IEP, and that it would be necessary to apply for Part B and exercise an employer plan SEP within the two months after loss of coverage.

Now, however, I discovered that in this CMS document:

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11219.pdf

... at the bottom of page 3, it says thusly:

If this describes you...
You HAVE Medicare Part A coverage, and you enroll in Medicare Part B during the Part B General Enrollment Period (January 1–March 31).

You can...
Sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan (with or without prescription drug coverage) or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.

At this time...
Between April 1–June 30.

Now I've seen this before, but I thought that it only pertained to someone using the GEP and getting their Part B on July 1, as a result. But the language does not exclusively say that. It seems to say that if you do all this in the first three months of the year you get extra time to make a MAPD election.

I called Humana's agent help line and the lady said no, she's burned her SEP and is locked out until AEP. When I called 800-MEDICAR, the lady with the foreign accent said the same thing. But when the client calls, they pull her file and say she has an SEP.

So it appears that I should go see her and take the app before Monday night comes and goes, if perchance she does have an election. The abovereferenced publication clearly says at the top of the page "Initial Enrollment Periods," not special election periods. The client insists on calling it an SEP on the application so we don't blow it and miss the SEP.

So my question for you gurus out there is this: How do you mark the app, as an IEP or SEP? And if SEP, what code, the one for losing employer coverage or something else? Sorry for writing a novel about this, but I wanted to get all the details out for you folks to see.

I've searched around and have not found a definitive answer to this. Client got Part A about a year ago and elected not to enroll in Part B due to the fact that she was still working at age 65 and was covered by a great employer plan. Her employer plan ended 12/31/13 and she enrolled in Part B some time in 2/14, during her eight-month SEP. It became effective 3/1/14. However, for some reason, she did not choose to enroll in any Part C or D plan, or a Med supp, for that matter. I would think that her SEP for losing employer coverage ended 2/28/14. She has called me desperately wanting to enroll in a BCBS MAPD, to be effective 7/1/14. She believes she has an initial enrollment period of three months before to three months after the month she got her Part B, which would end 6/30/14, i.e., next Monday night. She has talked to Medicare about this several times, and most of the time they tell her she has an SEP that ends 6/30/14. (Note they are not saying ICEP or IEP.) My thought initially was that she blew her employer coverage SEP by not enrolling by 2/28/14. (She could still get a Med supp, since she has an open enrollment for six months after getting Part B, even if subsequent to getting Part A, but she cannot afford the premium. She needs a zero-premium MAPD.) I have gone through the last several years believing that if a beneficiary gets Part A and some time goes by, and there is no other SEP in place, such as leaving employer coverage, the act of enrolling in Part B in itself does not generate an SEP, ICEP, or IEP, and that it would be necessary to apply for Part B and exercise an employer plan SEP within the two months after loss of coverage. Now, however, I discovered that in this CMS document: http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11219.pdf ... at the bottom of page 3, it says thusly: If this describes you... You HAVE Medicare Part A coverage, and you enroll in Medicare Part B during the Part B General Enrollment Period (January 1–March 31). You can... Sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan (with or without prescription drug coverage) or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. At this time... Between April 1–June 30. Now I've seen this before, but I thought that it only pertained to someone using the GEP and getting their Part B on July 1, as a result. But the language does not exclusively say that. It seems to say that if you do all this in the first three months of the year you get extra time to make a MAPD election. I called Humana's agent help line and the lady said no, she's burned her SEP and is locked out until AEP. When I called 800-MEDICAR, the lady with the foreign accent said the same thing. But when the client calls, they pull her file and say she has an SEP. So it appears that I should go see her and take the app before Monday night comes and goes, if perchance she does have an election. The abovereferenced publication clearly says at the top of the page "Initial Enrollment Periods," not special election periods. The client insists on calling it an SEP on the application so we don't blow it and miss the SEP. So my question for you gurus out there is this: How do you mark the app, as an IEP or SEP? And if SEP, what code, the one for losing employer coverage or something else? Sorry for writing a novel about this, but I wanted to get all the details out for you folks to see.

IMO, the only thing that it could be would be ICEP. She was able to sneak in an earlier Part B date due to the fact that it was less than 8 months after employer coverage ended, which wouldn't be the norm in the usual General Enroll Period peeps. The ICEP would end Jun 30 as the one person said. I don't see how any If the SEPs that you mentioned would apply. Your best shot is the ICEP, imo. It's worth a shot.

I hope you find a valid election but I don't see one. A delayed ICEP election ends the day before Part B effective date. If she'd opted for GEP enrollment so her Part B effective date was 7/1, she still would have a shot. Because she took an SEP-LEC she gets two months from end of employment, which has passed. Worth a shot, though. CMS moves in mysterious ways.

Try to get her qualified for assistance whether it be Medicaid or state drug assistance will get her SEP

Try to get her qualified for assistance whether it be Medicaid or state drug assistance will get her SEP
These two SEP not likely available for someone who postponed Medicare due to employment, but the idea is right: only some kind of SEP will save her from waiting till AEP.

Last edited:
These SEP not likely available for someone who postponed Medicare due to employment, but the idea is right: only some SEP will save her from waiting till AEP.

there would be an SEP is she qualified for State Pham assistance whether she has late Part B had Medicare for 10 years or 6 months

When They get Assistance they have continual SEP

there would be an SEP is she qualified for State Pham assistance whether she has late Part B had Medicare for 10 years or 6 months When They get Assistance they have continual SEP
I should have been clearer. She's not likely to qualify for any SEP related to low income if she delayed Part B due to having a job where she has been earning money. I am aware that these two SEP are not tied to a time period.

Last edited:
I should have been clearer. She's not likely to qualify for any SEP related to low income if she delayed Part B due to having a job.

I see what you are saying

I just went on where OP said she could not afford any premium

But you probably are right if she had worked
Although She had not worked since 12/31 of last year

If not I would show her the info let her know I am her guy
and whatever could be done I will do
try 1 more time for a plan N then set up the oct call

at worse it will be easy sale in Oct

Thanks guys -- I believe we're all thinking alike.

If it doesn't work out that she has an election, even if I sold her the Plan N she still wouldn't have Part D which at present is her greatest concern.

And yes, I already checked her income for LIS etc. and it's too high, but she says she cannot afford a premium over and above the Part B $104.90.

I think I'm going to recommend we do a conference call with 1-800-MEDICAR and forego the commission. I have a sinking feeling that if I apply her for an MAPD the normal way and it rejects I might be looking at my first E&O claim ever.

Once again, appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks guys -- I believe we're all thinking alike.

If it doesn't work out that she has an election, even if I sold her the Plan N she still wouldn't have Part D which at present is her greatest concern.

And yes, I already checked her income for LIS etc. and it's too high, but she says she cannot afford a premium over and above the Part B $104.90.

I think I'm going to recommend we do a conference call with 1-800-MEDICAR and forego the commission. I have a sinking feeling that if I apply her for an MAPD the normal way and it rejects I might be looking at my first E&O claim ever.

Once again, appreciate your thoughts on this.

Which SEP does the SS worker say to use? If you submit the app with that "SEP", then the blame (if any) would go on them.

Back