Need a Part D? Ask Your Pharmacist

In addition to everything already said

Not only are you loosing an opportunity to make yourself your clients Go to guy (= referrals and retention)

You send med sup client who might be a confused senior looking for advice into their local pharmacy

You just might lose him to the kiosk Local MAPD guy

I'm just finding it really, really hard to believe that a pharmacist will put the person's meds in to Medicare.gov and do the plan comparison.

He/She may give advice based on their general feedback of what people coming into their pharmacy like/prefer.

Not that they couldn't do it. Surely the pharmacist can. But - they are pretty busy doing other things - like making sure the right meds get to the right people.... Last time I checked that's pretty important.

Should we really ask them to tie up a computer and get on to Medicare's site? I think Frank used to teach that. I don't think many trainers teach that any more.

I think Frank used to teach that. I don't think many trainers teach that any more.

Frank did suggest that. I tried that early on and then decided to run the reports myself.

And you are right. Pharmacies aren't going to run a report.

I had a lady come see me after she switched to a Part D her pharmacist recommended. This was last April. What her pharmacist didn't know was that she has a Medicare Advantage plan and obviously this left her with original Medicare only. Ended up selling her an underwritten Supp.

Stick to counting pills and leave insurance to professionals

I'm just finding it really, really hard to believe that a pharmacist will put the person's meds in to Medicare.gov and do the plan comparison.

Pharmacies like CVS & Walgreens are not going to enter Rx's using Medicare's Plan Finder. These pharmacies are going to use special proprietary software that will only show results where their pharmacy is "Preferred".

Pharmacies like CVS & Walgreens are not going to enter Rx's using Medicare's Plan Finder. These pharmacies are going to use special proprietary software that will only show results where their pharmacy is "Preferred".

Ofcourse.............................................!

Good point Dayton.

My guess is it also only show meds filled at that pharmacy. Does not include any mail order or something you got from a different pharmacy.

The pharmacy will have their best interests in mind, as they should.

Many pharmacists I have worked with did not know the in's and out's of Part D and didn't care to know. Most wanted nothing to do with spending 30 minutes with Myrtle and trying to get her meds plugged into any software (proprietary or Medicare.gov). As mentioned, they are busy filling meds.

I have talked to some pharmacies and they were hesitant to offer help or certain carriers as they were worried there would be push to mail order and cut out the local pharmacy.

You agents who don't want to enroll your clients into their drug plans need only lose a few of your clients to agents like me who WILL do the service for their clients - regardless of compensation. Call it paying it forward. You're helping someone who needs help... and what goes around comes around.

----------

I'm picking up a client right now who has used the same broker for several years to enroll in her MAPD - and this year she went online looking for some help and she found me. I would have NEVER enrolled her in the crappy plan she was in, but I didn't even have to bad mouth it - she was complaining to ME about it.

When I asked her why she went online when she already has a broker, she told me "I just wanted someone who would take the time to explain this to me. He would answer my questions - but I never knew what questions to ask. I've learned more talking to you today than I've learned from him in the last three years!"

Apparently, homeboy wasn't giving a CMS compliant presentation... and he deserves to have his client scooped. If you don't assist your gap clients - you deserve to be scooped, as well.

Back