New Agent- Need to Know....

ladymj

how to go through an appointment? Hello experienced agents:) I am a BRAND NEW agent with practically no sales experience(I posted one other time looking for suggestions) on med supps sales or another sales. I know once I get started I will be good, because I believe in the product I am selling! I have been reading about the different med supp plans and about Medicare and I am with Ritter FMO. I am done with getting appointed with top 3-4 carriers for the plans F. G and N.

I just would love to have an experienced agent go over how they do their sales appointments. I haven't even placed any sales calls yet, even though I have some leads from another agent. T65 is what I will be doing. I guess I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have a fulltime job in the evening so I have early in the day to do my med supp work. I know I have talked to people who say, just start calling people but I feel I need to become fully informed about Medicare and how to run an appoinment 1st. Anyway, thanks for reading and tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Mj;)

Know your product, and get started. I practiced with my folks and other fam to get their feedback on my approach. Some folks don't want a lot of info, and give those people the basics. Others seem to want to know enough that they're ready to sell insurance themselves. Generally, I always go over the four parts of Medicare, which is promptly forgotten by the majority of clients. Then go down the path the clients expresses interest. Some people already know what they want. I've found it's LOT about showing customers you care for them and their needs...saving money on premiums is a big part obviously. Simple is better and just get started.
The small print...some carriers want their brochure followed exactly...MAPD sales are a different animal.
Good luck and have fun

I'd be a good idea to search the forums for various scripts agents use and test out what works for you. Also see if your upline can help fill in the blanks as needed. There is a big difference between knowing everything about Medicare vs what most people care about. Just keep the various Medicare guides handy and track what questions most people are asking with the appropriate answers. In time you will have mostly everything you need to know memorized.

I would use a questionnaire to structure your appointment. It'll get the client to open up, and it'll keep you on track. I'd link one that our agency uses here, but I don't think I'm allowed to share URLs just yet. I suppose you could message me for the link, but you could even write up your own questionnaire as long as you know what you're trying to sell and the information you need to do it well.

I think you need to study the sales cycle. A good book on sales is Advanced Selling Strategies, by Brian Tracy.

In a nutshell, you will start out by building rapport and establishing credibility, then move into fact finding, and your presentation. Then closing. Remember that sales is easiest when you provide a solution to a problem. Show a simple explanation of medicare, and the problems, or financial exposure, then give them the solution...a supplement.

Another book I liked was Secrets of Closing the Sale, by Zig Ziglar. Zig's book came out in 1985 I think, but the principles are the same.

how to go through an appointment? Hello experienced agents:) I am a BRAND NEW agent with practically no sales experience(I posted one other time looking for suggestions) on med supps sales or another sales. I know once I get started I will be good, because I believe in the product I am selling! I have been reading about the different med supp plans and about Medicare and I am with Ritter FMO. I am done with getting appointed with top 3-4 carriers for the plans F. G and N.

I just would love to have an experienced agent go over how they do their sales appointments. I haven't even placed any sales calls yet, even though I have some leads from another agent. T65 is what I will be doing. I guess I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have a fulltime job in the evening so I have early in the day to do my med supp work. I know I have talked to people who say, just start calling people but I feel I need to become fully informed about Medicare and how to run an appoinment 1st. Anyway, thanks for reading and tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Mj;)

The best advice I can give you is that there is virtually no chance you will be successful with this approach-you don't know how to sell, don't understand the Medicare system, and aren't prepared to offer VERY important advice to someone entering Medicare. On top of that you have a full time job so have little to no time to learn anything.

Ritter is an outstanding IMO, have you discussed your situation with them directly and asked for help? The only chance is to have a mentor who is upline and will help you get up to some level of competency.

MJ, have you had a chance to look at Ritter's blog Agent Survival Guide? Lots of really great articles on Med Supps and getting started. There's also a Med Supp call script article you might be interested in. They also have a forum you can join to ask other experienced Ritter agents questions (linked to on the ASG blog). Hope that helps!

Back