Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017     
Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

State: FMOadvisor is an Insurance Agent from
New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017
It looks like UHC will be changing their release rules sometime next week. Here are the highlights as I understand them, Has anyone else heard anything?:

1. Agents can request a release and if their upline refuses to release them the release will still be effective 6 months later. The agent can continue to write business during this time. This is very similar to Humana and many other companies.

2. GA's, MGA's and SGA's can request a release for themselves and every agent in their entire downline.

3. All agents that want to transfer have to submit a new contract within 30 days after the 6 month waiting period is over.

4. There will be a new "blackout" period where no agent can move from September 1st to December 31st even if their upline agrees to an immediate release.

I know many successful agents who will be very happy about this rule change. I think it may be difficult to implement for agents with large downlines since every agent will have to sign a new contract within a 30 day window. Please let me know if anyone else has any information!

------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017
Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Guru

State: wehotex is an Insurance Agent from Texas
wehotex is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 Re: New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017
Originally Posted by FMOadvisor View Post
It looks like UHC will be changing their release rules sometime next week. Here are the highlights as I understand them, Has anyone else heard anything?:

1. Agents can request a release and if their upline refuses to release them the release will still be effective 6 months later. The agent can continue to write business during this time. This is very similar to Humana and many other companies.

2. GA's, MGA's and SGA's can request a release for themselves and every agent in their entire downline.

3. All agents that want to transfer have to submit a new contract within 30 days after the 6 month waiting period is over.

4. There will be a new "blackout" period where no agent can move from September 1st to December 31st even if their upline agrees to an immediate release.

I know many successful agents who will be very happy about this rule change. I think it may be difficult to implement for agents with large downlines since every agent will have to sign a new contract within a 30 day window. Please let me know if anyone else has any information!
Wow. That's great news. I guess that UHC saw that many agents in that situation DO NOT write UHC products for 6 months to leave a crappy up line. That doesn't exactly help UHC's numbers and bottom line. I know several agents that had to go through that 6-month song and dance.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Super Genius

State: timeflies is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Who are some of the other companies that apply this practice? Is Anthem one of them?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
Guru

State: wehotex is an Insurance Agent from Texas
wehotex is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by timeflies View Post
Who are some of the other companies that apply this practice? Is Anthem one of them?
Yes. Anthem also allows the agent to continue writing business while the 6-month period is occurring.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Guru

State: FLM2 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
FLM2 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Humana has the same rule-with no release letter there is a 6 month waiting period during which time you can continue to write business under the current upline. I am in the process of such a change so recently reviewed the rules.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 Re: New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 FMOadvisor is the thread starter for: New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017

Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wow. That's great news. I guess that UHC saw that many agents in that situation DO NOT write UHC products for 6 months to leave a crappy up line. That doesn't exactly help UHC's numbers and bottom line. I know several agents that had to go through that 6-month song and dance.
Yes, I know many agents who will be changing uplines to find someone who gives them the support that they need. I think it was a great move by UHC.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Guru
Fisher on New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017

State: Fisher is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
Fisher is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
What is the future status of your existing book in this scenario? Are you still AOR after moving to a new upline?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 Re: New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 FMOadvisor is the thread starter for: New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017

Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
What is the future status of your existing book in this scenario? Are you still AOR after moving to a new upline?
Yes, the agent remains as the AOR for all existing business when they transfer to a new hierarchy. UHC is very good about protecting the Agent of Record.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Guru
Fisher on New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017

State: Fisher is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
Fisher is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
So then... all renewal commissions would continue to stay with the agent? (Just to be clear.)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
So then... all renewal commissions would continue to stay with the agent? (Just to be clear.)
Yes, that is correct, the agent will retain all renewals (as long as they are contracted as an agent and not a "solicitor"). Agents are paid directly by UHC and retain renewals. Solicitors are paid by their upline. I don't know many uplines that would pay renewals to a solicitor unless they had a prior written agreement to do that.
Reply to New Agent Release Rules for UHC 2017 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum