No A+B Effective Date in 6th Month of Initial Coverage/t65??

insuranceguy1357

Ohio
Working with a T65 he was told the following by social security(as was I when I called in to verify): you can not get an a+b effective date in the 6th month of your icep (3rd month after birth month). Example: March birthday : March,April,or June a+b effective dates. No may. Has anyone come across this?

Working with a T65 he was told the following by social security(as was I when I called in to verify): you can not get an a+b effective date in the 6th month of your icep (3rd month after birth month). Example: March birthday : March,April,or June a+b effective dates. No may. Has anyone come across this?
That is true.

Part A is always retro up to six months so in your case would be March no matter when in IEP the person enrolled.

Part B is the tricky part. If enrollment was in birth month, March, the effective date is April. However, if enrollment is in month AFTER birth month, April, one month is skipped by Medicare rules, so June is the effective date, not May. If enrollment in B is in last two months of IEP, May or June in your example, Medicare skips two months, so May enrollment would mean August effective, June enrollment would get him a Sept. start date.

So, for a March birthdate, May is not available for Part B. Not sure of the rationale for the delays, but they've always been there.

Back