No More Wellcare or Coventry PFFS After 12/31/09

Hank

Expert
I just got the emails that makes it official.

I'm out of the PFFS Business. I think I will stay completely away from anything to do with CMS.

And nope.... :no: I'm not even going to do Med Sups either.

I think I'll move to Florida and work for the mouse. ;)

From Wellcare:

2010 Private Fee For Service Announcement Dear Valued Producer:
WellCare has notified the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) that it does not intend to renew its contracts to offer Medicare private fee-for-service (PFFS) plans in 2010. Our intention to withdraw from Medicare Advantage PFFS was a difficult decision, and we regret that in 2010 we will no longer be able to offer these plans.
WellCare Medicare Advantage plan members whose identification cards include the letters "PFFS" and WellCare identification numbers that start with the letter "F" will be affected by this action. WellCare does not offer Medicare Advantage PFFS plans in Connecticut, Florida and Texas, so WellCare Medicare Advantage members enrolled in these states will not be affected. Also, members enrolled in a WellCare HMO (coordinated care) plan or a prescription drug plan (PDP), or a WellCare Medicaid plan, will not be affected. As of March 31, 2009, about 110,000 of the approximately 2.5 million members served by WellCare were Medicare Advantage PFFS members.
Members currently enrolled in one of WellCare's PFFS plans will continue to have access to WellCare benefits until January 1, 2010. These members will have an opportunity to choose a new Medicare Advantage plan or return to original Medicare coverage during the regular annual election period from November 15 to December 31, 2009. Members do not need to make a change to their WellCare Medicare Advantage PFFS coverage until then. Written notification will be provided to WellCare Medicare Advantage PFFS members before the annual election period in accordance with CMS requirements, and CMS will send all Medicare beneficiaries a Medicare & You booklet that includes information about the various health care options available to Medicare beneficiaries in 2010.
For 2010, WellCare will remain focused on WellCare's core HMO and PDP business, and help members with a smooth transition to other WellCare plan coverage, coverage from another Medicare Advantage plan or coverage from original Medicare.
WellCare appreciates the vital role of the producer in WellCare's success and intends to re-engage producers upon our return to marketing our Medicare Advantage and PDP programs. As such, WellCare will continue to keep producers informed of important industry news, upcoming legislative activity and WellCare's progress in our efforts to re-launch sales and marketing activities.
Please note that you will be notified when more information becomes available. In the meantime, please refer to the attached FAQ's for additional clarification.
Sincerely,

Kevin A. LeBlanc
Vice President, National Distribution

Breaking News Regarding Your PFFS Coventry Business

Coventry will not offer Medicare Advantage PFFS Plans
in 2010

Coventry Health Care has announced that they will not be offering Medicare Advantage Private Fee for Service (PFFS) plans for the 2010 plan year, and no new commissions will be paid on individual or group PFFS plans sold with a plan effective date of July 1, 2009 or later, citing the Medicare Advantage rate cuts announced in April and the rising cost of medical care as contributing to their decision.

The Implications for Coventry Agents:
  • No new commissions will be paid on individual or group PFFS plans sold with a plan effective date of July 1, 2009 or later.
  • Renewal commissions for PFFS plans will continue to be paid through December 31, 2009. Renewals will continue beyond December 31, 2009 if the client converts to a Coventry Coordinated Care Plan.
  • Part D plans are still available.
Ultimately, this means that if you sold Coventry PFFS plans to clients in the past, these plans cannot be changed until the November 15, 2009 Annual Election Period. In the meantime, for your clients who are aging-in to Medicare, contact your marketing organization for alternative product solutions.

Now I want to find a list of people on these near me. That will be some good money in 2010 Jan.

Now I want to find a list of people on these near me. That will be some good money in 2010 Jan.

If you have such a list, you had better believe it would be very valuable. I'm thinking there may be others before it's over with. Either that or increased premiums and/or decreased benefits. But in the latter case the member is not eligible for a GI supp.

With the new budget cuts I think there is a good chance most or all the MA companies will drop out. I think we will see both increased premium and decreased benefits. Could be big opportunities for 2010.

With the new budget cuts I think there is a good chance most or all the MA companies will drop out. I think we will see both increased premium and decreased benefits. Could be big opportunities for 2010.

I think a number of the PFFS companies who dipped their toe in the water in the middle part of the decade and got into the market after the Medicare Modernization Act passed will probably drop out sooner or later.

I wouldn't bet on the big HMO companies like Humana, United Healthcare and maybe a few others dropping out, although decreased benefits and increased premium are likely, and maybe pulling out of some markets depending on how deep the cuts go.

Also, this announcement states that Wellcare announced they are getting out of the PFFS market, not HMO. I don't know whether the problems they had with CMS were related to PFFS, HMO or both.

Last edited:
It would'nt suprise me if CMS would start regulating the marketing & commisions of the conversion from MA plans to Med Supps.

All those poor souls that have health issues are going to be totally screwed when they have to be underwritten back into a Med Supp.....They will be forever stuck in a PFFS/PPO/HMO....

We all figured on this happening, didn't we?

Well the ones whos plan will not be available next year will at least have a guaranteed issue opportunity and won't have to be underwritten, med supp companies won't like that and I can see the med supp rates taking a big hike adding all of these uninsurable people to their plans.

Back