NY To ATL Part 2

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Here's the situation:

Mom is on dead spouses retiree plan, and currently living in New York. Two sons are here in Atlanta, and the daughter is in New York. They are moving mom to Atlanta October 15th.

I have met with #1 son, and spoken to him twice on the phone. I have spoken to #2 son three times on the phone. The daughter I have never spoken to. The three of them have durable Power of Attorney, but no Health Care Proxy.

#1 and #2 son have been told the basics of Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage. Mom is in the beginning stages of Dementia. #1 son is the payee for Social Security and Medicare for mom.

Option #1:

Sign Mom up for a Medicare Advantage Plan with an effective date of October 1. Then, when she moves down to Atlanta, it will create an SEP, and we can move her into another MA-PD.

Option #2:

Place Mom on a Medicare Supplement Plan, and a PDP. That way, when she moves down to Atlanta, she doesn't have to change a thing. Problem is: the family does not have the money to buy a Med Supp, and PDP, and the cost sharing on the PDP. (Med Supp guys, speak up!)

Option #3: Put Mom on a Medicare Advantage Plan while in New York, then when she moves down to Atlanta, put her on a Med Supp and PDP. I don't know if this is possible (if it causes a SEP, can she, without Medical Underwriting get a Med Supp?)

That's where we stand.

If they can't afford a med supp then I guess your only option is a MAPD. I would advise them though that they may have high OOP expenses with the MAPD and it may well end up costing them more in the long run.

Im not sure about in ATL but in FL we have SNP Dementia plans that are pretty good. Maybe you can put her on one of GA's SNP dementia

Yes, she would qulaify for a guarantee issue assuming she currently has a MA plan in New York and moves to Georgia. Look at the "Choosing a Medigap Policy Guide" from Medicare. Here's a link:

http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/02110.pdf

On page 22 you will see one of the ways a person can get a GI Med Supp is if they move out of their service area. She will have 63 calendar days once her MA coverage ends in order to get the GI Med Supp.

Back