Oregon Offers Plan Reviews for Those Losing MA Coverage

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
I guess Oregon doesn't believe in agents. At least seniors will get a "certified volunteer."

State Program Provides Free Health Plan Reviews for Oregonians on Medicare | ThePortlander

“Our counselors can help you review your plan options between now and early December so you have a smooth transition in 2011.”
The SHIBA program, part of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, trains volunteers throughout Oregon to help people compare Medicare insurance options and to see if they qualify for help with Medicare costs."

Personalized counseling is available through the Oregon SHIBA program. Call 1-800-722-4134 to be routed to an organization in your community for a one-on-one appointment with a certified SHIBA volunteer or to speak with customer service staff in the state office.

You didn't get the memo from Washington, agents are evil, pure evil.

After all, everyone knows an unpaid, disinterested volunteer is best able to help seniors with important decisions. Nevermind that the volunteer is probably someone unemployeed who is doing it just to extend unemployment benefits.

I can just see it now:

Volunteer: "Mister, here are the three MA plans still available in your county, pick one."

Senior: "But, which one is best for me, what are the differences?

"I don't know, and I don't care, just pick one."

"I can't afford those premiums, what can I do?"

"Just fill out this stack of paperwork and see if you qualify for state asisstance. Here is a pen, there is an empty chair over there where you can sit and fill it out. Good-bye."

Common now, it specifically states that their volunteers are trained to help seniors compare Medicare insurance options. Better than that, since they're not agents CMS has no control over them, so they can do and say whatever they want.

Of course, as a health insurance agent this is a very small taste of "navigators" for the exchanges in 2014.

Come on, you know state training. They probably took an eight hour course, with six hours devoted to being safe in the workplace. Don't lift anything too heavy, sexual harrassment, how to handle 'accidents' made by seniors, what to do in the case of an emergency, etc. Then two hours of actual training on Medicare. All done by someone who got the same training last week.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

But the fact that as they are not licensed, appointed or certified they don't have to deal with all the hoopla that CMS puts agents through....nor the crap companies do....Humana every sale requires a full presentation which should take 60-90 minutes.....but what about those people that call the company direct they don't get a full presentation....

These are state volunteers and if CMS tries to stick their head in it, Oregon will likely tell CMS to shove it up their a**. CRM has no authority over a state - just carriers and agents.

These are state volunteers and if CMS tries to stick their head in it, Oregon will likely tell CMS to shove it up their a**. CRM has no authority over a state - just carriers and agents.

But they could penalize the carrier for allowing unlicensed individuals to make recommendations concerning their plans. There is always a way.

Very interesting comment. I know in MD it's a violation to operate without a license. I wonder how these volunteers are allowed to compare different plans with seniors without a license. Where's the Oregon DOI?

If I was CMS and wanted to make an issue about it, that is how I'd go about it. Since the volunteers are acting on behalf of the state, not sure you could go after them directly. But I'd certainly go after the carrier for knowingly accepting applications from individuals that were assisted and soliciated by an unlicensed person.

You may still be able to go after the individuals. After all, they are giving advice concerning CMS regulated products without following CMS rules. The fact that the state recruited them does not excuse their personal responsibilty to be in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.

If I was CMS and wanted to make an issue about it, that is how I'd go about it. Since the volunteers are acting on behalf of the state, not sure you could go after them directly. But I'd certainly go after the carrier for knowingly accepting applications from individuals that were assisted and soliciated by an unlicensed person.

You may still be able to go after the individuals. After all, they are giving advice concerning CMS regulated products without following CMS rules. The fact that the state recruited them does not excuse their personal responsibilty to be in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.

I just be needed a job to feed my babies Mista, please don't send me to the pokey, what will little Ra Ra and Shaniqwa Ala Bomb Bomb do withouts me?

Back